Skip to content

Peugeot Quasar

TD23088TD23088 Posts: 24 ✭✭
The RQ90 1984 Peugot Quasar need to be adjusted.  The car's 4wd system and engine are based the Peugeot 205 T16.  The Quasar is given another turbo charger to bring the hp to 600 but the RQ 89 1985 205 T16 is only 0.1 second slower.  The Quasar lends it concepts to the 1987 Peugeot Pikes Peak so I would expect the 0-60 to be better since it's on performance tires.  The Quasar's suspension is based on that era's F1 cars but it is only 3 handling units above the 205 T16.  I would expect it to be much better because of the F1 suspension and performance tires.  Also, this concept was to be a "what if" type of group b rally and that "what if" is:  what if there were no restrictions or limitations and the envelope could be pushed.  I would expect the top speed to only be limited by its weight, power, and aero it is certainly not governed or limited by gear ratios.

I assume road and track is still a good source

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-design/a32579210/peugeot-quasar-concept-car-group-b/

Comments

• HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, the 80s.

• TD23088TD23088 Posts: 24 ✭✭
    So cool!
  • TD23088TD23088 Posts: 24 ✭✭
    It’s like a go-cart with 600 hp
  • JaguarDTMJaguarDTM Posts: 449 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I have some doubts about this using 80s F1 technology when Peugeot was never involved in F1 in the 80s
    Only thing I could find about the Quasar's suspension in correlation to Formula 1 suspensions of the era was that they both used pushrods
    https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/410/Peugeot-205-T16-Group-B.html
    If this source is trusted it states that this has a 5-speed manual gearbox. From the source stated above (the R&T source), the Quasar also has a 5-speed manual transmission. Given how much the Quasar share in common with the 205 T16 (chassis, engine, even the rear lights), its plausible to say they also share same transmission. 
    https://drivetribe.com/p/peugeot-quasar-the-ultimate-group-Eqmb-1SRTrq2txn9aF0XDw?iid=Fe7zEaFoRDOGF6CxU00EZQ
    Also this article states the Quasar use same brakes and suspension from the 205 T16. Keep in mind the Quasar was designed to be what a 205 T16 would be without the limitations of it being a hatchback.
    There could be an argument for a slight handling buff due to the pushrod suspension (that is similar to F1 suspension according to that R&T article) albeit the downforce on this car is questionable and it's wheelbase is pretty short
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because the car received another turbo doesn't mean it was significantly faster to 60.  More turbos aren't always better, especially since there is no mention of this turbo setup being sequential.  Using the same transmission, the car is faster to 60 and it does have better MRA.  Without any statistics to be found, how do we know that this is supposed to be faster or the 205 T16 is supposed to be slower, IF either should change.  

As far as the suspension, I found multiple sources:
    - "From Formula 1, the Quasar recovered the complex suspension system"
    - "the suspension system is different and is inspired by what was done in Formula 1 at the time."
    - "The suspension was apparently F1-grade"
    I'll note for a small increase, but without exact documentation on it's design, we don't really know what it had so don't expect F1 levels of handling.

As for the top speed, "what if" doesn't matter.  What it actually used does matter.  It used the same 5-speed gearbox as the 205 T16 and gearing absolutely does limit top speed.  No change for what ifs.