Skip to content

Thread for wrong translations

TopDrives34865TopDrives34865 Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
I originally posted this on the bug&issues discussion but since not a lot saw it, I put it back here so it might become helpful and read by others.

I guess I'm not the only one with strange/incorrect translations from English to their language.

I'll start with French : 

- even in France we would rather say "karting indoor" than "karting intérieur" but that is not a major issue, however the two following mean absolutely nothing.

- "test bowl" cannot be translated as "coupe test", at least it is quite weird. It does not make the idea of speed appear, and someone who does not play to the game would definitely not know what it is. The best I have come up with is "anneau de vitesse" or " anneau de test" but if other frenchies have better ideas, post them of course.

-finally, "drag" cannot be translated as "glissade" what would be re-translated as "slide", it does not fit. Best translation imo is "course", for instance "1/4 mile drag" could be "course de 1/4 mile". You could also let the English name, that would be understood too.

Comments

• ErilixErilix Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    Salut collègue baguette !

I’m french too, but I switched my game in english about 2 years ago, because it was simpler regarding this forum, the in-game forum etc.
    I forgot some races were named weirdly, but yes, "coupe test" and "glissade" are really bad translation.
    About coupe test, I agree that "Anneau de vitesse" would be more appropriate.
    For the drag, I think just the lengh of the run would be ok like "1/4 mile", "1/2 mile" etc
  • Yama_sanYama_san Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited June 11

Erilix said:
    Salut collègue baguette !

:D

One more Croissant here.

Yeah quite some ridiculous translations (and I guess it's the same for many languages).
    Even the packs often have weird translations, it doesn't look serious. Strangely enough having bad translations (probably made by a non-native) doesn't seem to be a concern for many mobile games (can already be seen in many ads).

Re Test Bowl, even if not straight translation, we could also go for "Vitesse Max" (= max speed). But true this is not a real track name. Or "Test de Vitesse" why not.
    Re the drags, maybe "Sprint" could also work.
  • nathanwindnathanwind Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    O__VER said:
    Can I just say, the English of the three of you is damn near perfect. Would be nice if Hutch put in as much effort in return. :)
    Well said!
  • 0liver770liver77 Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Hi there,
    for me as german native, I experienced quite the same. Here's one example: The area to buy packs is called "Paket-Store", which is quite wrong. A "Paket" is the box you bring to the post office. And "Store" is even not translated. The Germans often use the english word "Shop". But in Germany you would say "Laden". In this case "Kiosk" would fit more.
    If it would be renamed from "Paket-Store" to "Päckchenkiosk" all Germans would understand it. Otherwise only these Germans, which speaks english too, understand what HUTCH is trying to say.

• AslanVAslanV Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭
    French here too,

Anneau de vitesse would be the correct one, 
    Anneau de vitesse de Montlhery :)

For the drag, I think the name dragster exist in French, so drag may work ?
    But just the value would be understandable too.

My game is in English too, but it always bug me on screenshot from the French Facebook group ><
  • Hutch_DmitriHutch_Dmitri Posts: 306 admin
    Thanks for your feedback everyone. I'll make a note to discuss your suggestions with our localisation team.
  • Hutch_DmitriHutch_Dmitri Posts: 306 admin
    Just to let you know, the French localisation will be updated in the next client update as per your requests.

Localisation team decided there is no need to change any German localisations however.
  • ErilixErilix Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    Just to let you know, the French localisation will be updated in the next client update as per your requests.

Localisation team decided there is no need to change any German localisations however.

Good to know, thanks for your feedback :smile: