Skip to content

July Q&A Summary

Hi everyone, thanks for tuning in to our monthly Q&A livestream last night - hope you enjoyed! For those who missed it, or prefer a text version, we've compiled a summary of what's been said yesterday, below. 

Q: Roadmap, Hutch. Give it to us, like a professional company you are supposed to be. Enough of this more than half-year-long silence.

A: We've given a roadmap in February this year and it mostly still stands. We can give you an update based on the things we mentioned in that roadmap, but also mentioning other work that’s been going on in the past 4 months.

Flexible Criteria: One of the things mentioned in the previous update was Flexibility - this has been introduced into the game a few months ago and we've seen some good success using the new flexible criteria when creating events and Challenges.

UX/UI: This has been mentioned on numerous occasions and we've made some good progress on the user interface, as you know we've A/B tested two different versions of the UI and some of you have seen them in your game in the past months. It's not that straightforward of a task however and involves work of multiple individuals on the team, and we will continue working on this in the coming months however you should not expect a release this side of Christmas.

3D Environments: Robin has recently shared a sneak peak of what the future environments might look like, but as with UX/UI this is one of those long-term tasks that are unlikely to be finished this year, so we will have more to share on this in the future. An A/B test for this feature should be implemented quite soon.

Additionally, we are actively working on the Wishlist feature which should make its way into the game in one of the nearest updates. This will allow you to wishlist a car, filter to see what cars you currently have wishlisted, remove a car from being wishlisted and be notified when you've won a wishlisted car. It will remain wishlisted until you move it from the holding pool into your garage.

We are also bringing in the 'dynamic' packs with bespoke artwork that would allow us to quickly create any packs we need and not be limited by the packs we already have in the game. This is very important as we cannot always offer you the exact right packs for the on-going events.

Finally, we are bringing another update to the Challenges, specifically we are working on allowing you to replay rounds in the Challenges. Together with Wishlists and dynamic packs, this is a high priority for us at the moment.

For those of you interested in other platforms, we're going to release Top Drives on Facebook Cloud Gaming in the USA in the coming weeks. We're excited that another platform is really excited about supporting Top Drives and bringing it to many new players.

Q: Hi Hutch team, I only have one question that man that might be of interest for all of us:

There are always rumors that the game is dead and will not continue…can you please give us a heads up and share at least a small roadmap? Thx

A: We can assure you that there are no plans to discontinue Top Drives.

Quite the opposite, the long-term tasks that we are working on currently are aimed at future-proofing the game.

First of all, this includes an improved UI - some of you may have experienced different versions of the new UI we've been testing in the past months. This work continues. The current UI is almost four years old and it is limited to the new features that we could implement and add into the game.

We are also working on upgrading our 3D environments to improve fidelity and feel of the game. This includes potential changes to the sounds as well, as we would like to bring over more unique engine sounds that better correspond to how the car sounds in real life.

We continue hiring and expanding the team, we have recently added a Product Manager who is helping us shape future updates and decide which features should be included in the updates.

Q: When is the next update coming?

A: While we cannot give you a specific date on when the next update is coming, we are expecting a release before the end of this summer.

Bear in mind that in addition to the car update, high on our priority list is the next stage for the Challenges, allowing replayability for rounds; flexible packs and a car Wishlist feature - all of this is approaching release.

To clarify regarding the corrections we’ve mentioned, the 600 corrections Will was talking about are for the new cars - we have received all necessary information from Evo however the corrections team went an extra mile to check all new cars and ensure their stats are correct, so that we don’t have to correct the cars in the future. Also note this does not necessarily mean all 600 cars will be introduced in the next update - some might be taken out to be released in the future updates. The final number will be more clear when the update gets released.

Q: Could you add account stats to look at? For example lifetime money earned, total carbon fibers opened, legends earned from carbon fibers. That'd be a nice thing to compare at the forums.

A: There is nothing currently in development that would allow you to see more detailed information about your account. We are currently focused on the tasks that are aimed at extending the game's life span so there is less focus on quality of life features.

Since I've started talking about QoL, we can mention the progress on the few features we talked about recently.

The Wishlist feature which is in development, but also we have plans to bring in the reduced gold cost for upgrades, and allow locking cars in the select screen. I know we've talked about it in the last Q&A, but sadly we are down a few people on the team for medical reasons this month so any progress on those has slowed down. Individuals involved in the development of these quality of life features still have a list of tasks they need to complete before they could resume work on the aforementioned features.

Q: The Accidental pack / ticket buy with gold is clearly more than a one off problem for many people - myself included. Any plans to fix this? Having the buy button in the same place as the proceed/race button on the next screen is always going to be an issue, even more so with the current lags in the game.

I’d like to be able to set a default on my account: auto sell all held cars after 24 hours and double tap confirm for all gold purchases.

A: There is nothing currently in development to prevent the issue that you've described, however it's been added to the feature priority list. Sadly it is likely to be prioritised against other QoL features due to considerations associated with it. It won't be implemented as a standalone feature and would likely need to wait until the UI overhaul however I still don't see this feature coming very soon if at all.

Q: Are you planning to improve the customer service quality at the future, also the communications towards to your users. There is many company in UK (for example TFL) who is kinda monopole situation but threat customers higher level than, Hutch. Main problem for example customer service answering time 3-4 days, when someone loose account have to wait long time to get back, and mostly the answer is a question back, so it's about 1 week to get back to the game or more.

A: We currently do not always meet the response times we aim for; sometimes we’re more or less within parameters but often, if there is a particular surge of contact or an issue in-game causes lots of issues, we simply don’t have the capacity to do that - especially at the weekend where our support capacity is reduced and there is inevitably some delay.

We appreciate that this isn’t the ideal scenario, and we’re in the process of working towards a better situation - both by improving our capacity/manpower, and by streamlining various systems - so in a very real way support response times should improve in the future - but there’s no guarantee on timeframe for that.

When things are behind we do try to get through everything as quickly as possible; we mostly work from oldest to youngest but there are certain specific issues that we try to prioritise. This means you should be reassured that not receiving a response doesn’t mean you’re not going to receive a response - no one will ever just not get a reply. It should be noted that sending follow-up messages makes precisely no difference to how quickly they’ll be seen - and if anything, it will make their contact harder to process when we do get to it.

In the meantime, as we continue to improve capacity, we’re grateful for your patience.

Comments

• EndlessWavesEndlessWaves Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16
    I haven't watched the video but this reads like a transcript rather than a summary. There's lots of repetition. The venom in the questions can be cut too of you're summarising. 

What's the use case for a wishlist feature? I can see it's useful for tracking all of the new lower RQ cars when a car update launches but I can't see how I'd use it beyond that. The ultra rares and above that are key to doing well aren't common enough that I need to be notified when I've gotten any of them, let alone a specific one. 
    Post edited by EndlessWaves on
  • D3nzelloD3nzello Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
    so basically the new car update wont be released till sometime in september, good to know!
  • Aamon_KorAamon_Kor Posts: 36
    I also think that the wish list will be by far the most useless update in TopDrive ever. It simply has no benefit for the players. Better use your time for useful content.
  • BlackXWulfBlackXWulf Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited July 19
    I agree and idk who asked for a wishlist it's not hard to keep track of cars anyways with all these filters , maybe give a collection reward for having certain cars in a perticular category
  • baestbaest Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd much rather being able to put cars into a fuse pool instead of a wish list.
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why?  Having a car unlocked effectively has it in a fuse pool.
  • AslanVAslanV Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the transcript ! :)

I am one which want the whislist, as I am looking for some cars for the collection (Volvo 145, Honda CRV...) 
  • baestbaest Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    Yeah that's real easy to remember how many dupes etc. you may have of it.. especially with a 2k+ car garage. Nothing more exciting than sitting around and bulk locking cars either  :|
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20
    baest said:
    HeissRod said:
    Nothing more exciting than sitting around and bulk locking cars either  :|
    How do you envision putting cars in this fuse pool?

Also, my garage is currently sitting at over 2,300 cars.  I don't find myself sitting around locking or unlocking cars for minutes on end.  How often are you changing your mind about keeping cars?
  • O__VERO__VER Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AslanV said:
    Thank you for the transcript ! :)

I am one which want the whislist, as I am looking for some cars for the collection (Volvo 145, Honda CRV...) 
    Yes but you know you want those – you'll spot them when you pull them. Do you think it's worth Hutch spending valuable development time on for a feature you can do in your head? Particularly when that development time could be used on actual gameplay stuff?
  • AslanVAslanV Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I am not sure it takes a lot of time to add a whished button on a car (kind of the lock one) And I don't recall the number of car I sold without thinking (especially the DEF ones)

After, the PO/RTE choose the features not only based on my input ...
  • MoogMoog Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭
    AslanV said:
    I am not sure it takes a lot of time to add a whished button on a car (kind of the lock one) And I don't recall the number of car I sold without thinking (especially the DEF ones)

After, the PO/RTE choose the features not only based on my input ...
    They still haven't implemented the Lock button properly, it's missing in lots of places.
  • willcf15willcf15 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    baest said:
    HeissRod said:
    Nothing more exciting than sitting around and bulk locking cars either  :|
    How do you envision putting cars in this fuse pool?

Also, my garage is currently sitting at over 2,300 cars.  I don't find myself sitting around locking or unlocking cars for minutes on end.  How often are you changing your mind about keeping cars?
    The "mark for fusion" function would be good for middling garages like mine. There are still several of all classes that I don't keep around or haven't gotten yet, but I don't necessarily want to have to remember to lock every car that I want to keep or risk assuming it's fuse material by using your system. The current system that I have to use is locking nothing and scrolling through the entire list of fusible cars to find the duplicates I want to fuse

Since I always have way more cars that I want to keep than cars I want to fuse, and the list of cars I want to keep is continuously changing, marking cars for fusion would be much quicker than marking cars that I want to keep, plus this mitigates the risk of me fusing a car I forgot to lock. This function becomes even more useful if you can mark cars from the holding pool before adding them to your garage.
  • BlackXWulfBlackXWulf Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    The arguments against having to lock cars to keep from fusing them, but wanting to mark cars to keep in a fuse pool baffles me.  It would be the same exact action, so time spent as an argument for or against seems irrelevant, from that aspect?

I also don't understand the need for this fuse pool.  You're essentially suggesting a second way to lock/unlock cars, just with a different name.  If you want to keep something, lock it.  If you don't want to keep something, and have it available for fusing, don't.  If you "don't want to have to remember to lock every car", how is that any different from remembering to mark cars to be available for this fuse pool?  This boils down to having an extra action added to the game.  Lets review that:
    1. Player opens packs
    2. Player moves cars to garage from holding pool
    3  Player wants to keep the car (lock button)
    4. Player wants to fuse the car (fuse pool button)
    You have now added extra steps to the game.  In order to fuse food, which the player just bought packs to do, they now have to spend extra time moving all that to the fuse pool, in order to use it.  This is similar to the holding pool, which players already complain about having to move cars one by one into the garage.  It's essentially the same process, except the fuse pool button may reside on the actual card screen (similar to the current lock button), so you'd have to drill into each card to move it to the fuse pool.

On a side note ...why don't you lock cars?  In your reply, you talk about mitigating risk of fusing something you didn't lock.  If you locked them, there would be no risk.  It sounds like you don't want to spend the time marking cars you want to keep (not fuse), but you do want to spend time marking cars for fusing.  This makes no sense?

To look at this from a different angle, Hutch already provided the fuse pool functionality, but they called it locking a car.  If the car is unlocked, it exists in the fuse pool.  If a car is locked, it doesn't.  You already don't like having to lock a car.  Why do you like potentially having to take a step to unlock all cars, in order to fuse them?
    Thank you 👏🏼just takes brain power and time to look through no big rush idk how that's hard to grasp 
  • O__VERO__VER Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21
    HeissRod said:
    Long **** post
    Yep, your method is exactly how I do it. Baffles me that people don't do it this way.
  • markgames1970markgames1970 Posts: 3
    Here is a simple soloution : Auto lock all cars added to you garage, then any cars you want to fuse you can unlock