Skip to content

Late join "fixed"

123457»

Comments

• nathanwindnathanwind Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    54 in my daily and I'm in the top 10. If I'm in the top 10 for America x 5 this game is broken! 
    Oh. Smurf hand back in now. I've no business doing well in the daily. It doesnt sit right.
  • hifichrishifichris Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

• We know that simply scaling to more servers has not been sufficient to alleviate the issues faced, so more work is going into this.

could I know exactly what is the necessity to always test in production mode ?
    who wants that ? 
  • MoogMoog Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe to reduce load per server you could drop from 500 to 100 bracket sizes?
  • David_FookDavid_Fook Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the very least stagger the event ending times. 4 ending at once, what could possibly go wrong
  • OzzmanOzzman Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but wtf? Brackets already overfilling with 24hrs to go?

• AndreasSimmerAndreasSimmer Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Ceramic events overfilling 24 hours before the end. Please tell me this isnt your "hotfix" @Hutch_Dmitri . Because prizeboards dont get adjusted and therefore massive nerfed now.
  • mario_mmario_m Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    Enter this evening.. overfilling 😑 
  • Nacho101Nacho101 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hi everyone,

First and foremost, I would like to acknowledge and thank you for the feedback you’ve provided in this and other forums in the last days and weeks.

We will be addressing some of the concerns raised regarding the Tri Series finals which will take place tonight and finish this Sunday. For this particular event, we are changing our scaling configuration, which will reduce the number of brackets created for the Finals.

The number of brackets isn’t a random occurrence - as we increase our server capacity, one of the consequences is that more brackets are created on these additional servers. We have been prioritising our work into server stability first and foremost. However, we recognise that this may be very disruptive in a higher stakes event, so we are taking this action immediately for the Finals:

• Reducing server scaling over the next three days, such that fewer leaderboard brackets are created for the Finals. However, we are keeping full scaling in place for the peak time of the finals on Sunday. Basically, the priority becomes protecting the stability and bracket generation of the Finals, above overall stability.

We also have a number of goals we are looking to achieve in the following days and weeks:

• We know that simply scaling to more servers has not been sufficient to alleviate the issues faced, so more work is going into this.

• Additionally, we are working on advanced auto-scaling, such that every event can be assessed and assigned the right server resources.

Finally, I would like to reassure you that our ultimate goal is no server issues and no unnecessary brackets created, it’s in our best interest to ensure that your experience during important events such as Finals is as smooth as possible.

Thanks for the update. Appreciate that it may not be easy to fix this issue.

However, fixing the servers and brackets will not necessarily solve the issue of players getting prize cars with little to no effort.

Would it be worth creating a minimum requirement to get a prize car - ie: you must play five tickets to be eligible. This at least prevents the 1-0 scenario - I think everyone agrees that it is ridiculous for a player to receive a prize car in this instance
  • RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Dmitri

First of all, thank you for your response. It is nicely laid out, easy to read and conveys what you guys' intentions are. I appreciated it.

Obviously these are difficult problems to solve. The fixes inevitably unleash new issues case in point the early overfilling brackets mentioned above.

If server trouble is occurring because too many players are playing at the same time then alleviate the cause. The way the game is designed as such that you can drop 1-2 tiers if you're inactive at the final minutes of an event.

Even just separating the events into two time zones would potentially solve a lot of problems. The con previously raised by Hutch, of some players having a 12-hr advantage in knowing the track sets is the lesser of two evils, because they only have that advantage over the players who chose the earlier timezone and they're not playing in the same bracket. 

144 people in my ceramic that just ended, so we traded one game issue for the next?
  • evilprofesseurevilprofesseur Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    143 in mine too. Dunno what's worse
  • OzzmanOzzman Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    142 people in my daily and 555 in the Car 54 event. I still think this so called "solution" to the late join problem is an insult to all players.
  • RuvlaRuvla Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    Ruvla said:
    Ozzman said:
    Also, fixing late joining is relatively easy.
    - what I have learned is that nothing technical for Hutch is easy. Even when making changes in one place, they usually brake a few things near by.
    Sorry, but could not stop myself from quoting this  :D
    edited May 2020
    IT WORKED FINE !!!

unbelievable !!!!

Post edited by hifichris on
  • TD42792TD42792 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ozzman said:
    142 people in my daily and 555 in the Car 54 event. I still think this so called "solution" to the late join problem is an insult to all players.
    After all this crazy inflation that’s been going on, they finally found a way to create deflation
  • Snaetch89Snaetch89 Posts: 102 ✭✭
     i think i had my best placing yet in that recent german event.. finished 142 out of 148.. but thats not bad, thats not even a 50% overfill
  • 0171801718 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    I have to say that I didn't see any broken brackets, my brackets didn't overfill too early (I didn't check the final player count tho and dont know how much the overfill was). And, most importantly, I didn't see the spinning wheel of death yesterday during the final. (got 2xT2 and T3 in daily).

Now this doesn't mean that it is not broken, but maybe there is progress regarding the server stability?
    edited May 2020
    Overfilling starting early. Either we need dynamic prizetiers or yet another adjustment in the parameters.

Post edited by AndreasSimmer on
    edited May 2020
    same here,
    it becomes impossible to predict if the upgrades will be sufficient or not
    it was already difficult, now it becomes uncertain

• Nacho101Nacho101 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    Nacho101 said:

same here sitting at 104 and 124 players.. if i slip out of the jaguar tiers because of that im gonna be a mad man
  • RuvlaRuvla Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    Ha, i though I would be the first. Naive :)

A pervert effect of early overfilling is that I hit hard my opponents to prevent the new arrivals... 
    The problem is I play with quite new players in hollywood events,. Sorry for them, they will hate me and the game... 
  • nathanwindnathanwind Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    hifichris said:
    A pervert effect of early overfilling is that I hit hard my opponents to prevent the new arrivals... 
    The problem is I play with quite new players in hollywood events,. Sorry for them, they will hate me and the game... 
    Same. That seems to be the nature of this game though. In the early days I was savaged. Now less so (but still sometimes). Some days you're the hammer; some days the nail is the way I see it. 😄
    well, my 124player bracket just rescaled its tiers, so T2 is now 3-12
  • D3nzelloD3nzello Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Snaetch89 said:
    well, my 124player bracket just rescaled its tiers, so T2 is now 3-12

also T3 13-40 as well
  • mauro07mauro07 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    finally we have rescale of tiers wiht overbooking! Thanks you Hutch! great news, hope we will see this rescale system in all events
    Post edited by mauro07 on
  • AslanVAslanV Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭
    Nacho101 said:

[...]

[...]

Would it be worth creating a minimum requirement to get a prize car - ie: you must play five tickets to be eligible. This at least prevents the 1-0 scenario - I think everyone agrees that it is ridiculous for a player to receive a prize car in this instance
    Actually something like you play one ticket, you can only be tiers 5, 2 tickets tiers 4 etc... Can be a good basic strategy :)

Or maybe up to ten, Like 2 tickets or less tiers 5, 4 tickets on less tiers 4 etc....

So the one who skipped the event can be tiers 4 (5 tickets) and the late joiners looking for the prize have to manage enough time to play 10 tickets (and even if late, they have to spend gold -> Good for business)

Honest people late joining are still happy, as they can go tiers 4, late joiners are less happy. (And you can be joining late because XYZ reasons and wanting to be competitive, you have 3 days to open the game !)