Skip to content

Hutch Top Drives Stream

milewski1015milewski1015 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
Normally I don't usually tune in to these sorts of things, but wondered what would come of an official TD stream and not the standard Top Drives show that we're used to. I quickly remembered why I don't usually tune in to these sorts of things. Discounting the buffering here and there, the entire stream consisted of Dmitri going through a garage full of cars he admitted to adding to his account. Seems a bit like taking advantage of working for Hutch if you ask me. When questioned about this practice, he claimed to be "a developer" and "works for 8 hours a day on the game" and uses his garage for testing. Unless there's been some miscommunication somewhere, I always thought Dmitri was the Community Manager. That's the position he's listed under on the Hutch website anyway. As I've always understood it, testing for the game is done on a back-end tool, like the one Jon and Tim use on the TD Show to showcase prize car performance, not the published live version. If if it for testing, I certainly can't be the only one that has a problem with a Hutch employee adding maxed cars to his account, and then competing with it against players that pay money to be competitive. The fact that the cars were added and not earned is another point entirely: what kind of faith can we have in a community manager that only uses the garage he added for himself to "test the game"? How can we expect that person to empathize with the players who legitimately put in time and/or money and deal with the bugs if they don't play the game themselves?

Historically, I've always tried to give Hutch the benefit of the doubt. I know programming can be rough, things break, bugs happen. No big deal. I can sympathize with them trying their best to get a handle on buggy updates, respond to support tickets, etc. Even the more "out-there" decisions: the legendary-skewed rarity distribution of the ER update that Robin claims to be unhappy with for example, I can write off or brush aside. But this really rubbed me the wrong way, hence why I made this thread.

Comments

• _HighVoltage__HighVoltage_ Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭
    Well said. But I want to stress the thing that bothered me the most:
    - Why is @Hutch_Dmitri adding cars to his account and then racing against players who pay real money to compete? Dmitri claims that he has to do it for testing, but don't the developers have a back-end testing environment? This is certainly not in the spirit of fair competition.
  • nathanwindnathanwind Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    Well said. But I want to stress the thing that bothered me the most:
    - Why is @Hutch_Dmitri adding cars to his account and then racing against players who pay real money to compete? Dmitri claims that he has to do it for testing, but don't the developers have a back-end testing environment? This is certainly not in the spirit of fair competition.
    I'd just saying it's bare-faced cheating. And dishonest. And wrong. #sellallyourcarsandstopcheatingdmitri
  • RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is terrible behaviour.

I agree with your two posts wholeheartedly @milewski1015.

I always respected Tim for playing it straight, and I too believe his claim that he didn't use any of the resources available to him to gain an advantage.

I simply cannot believe one iota that Dmitry didn't cheat here simply for personal gain. He does NOT need to test things out on the game. 

• Ernst_WomoErnst_Womo Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    it is very interesting that Dimitri don‘t answer to this thread. It seems that something is right with this accusations. 🙄
  • Hutch_DmitriHutch_Dmitri Posts: 361 admin
    edited December 2020

Hi folks. I certainly owe you an explanation as it appears to be an important topic!

That said, there are some misconceptions which I think it’s important I address.

First of all I wanted to clarify that I’ve not added any maxed out cars to my account, and I didn’t say I had on the stream. The only car I ever added was the Ariel Atom V8 500 back in July (as mentioned in the stream), which was added when I was preparing content for the Ariel collaboration we were planning (we made some trailers and a showcase episode if you recall). It wasn’t maxed out either. Right now, the car sits at around 70 total races after 5 months. 

All other cars in my garage are earned through progress and purchasing packs with my own money. Besides, there is no personal gain for me to get - if I do play, I normally spend 1-5 tickets in events these days just to see what they are, although certainly I played way more back when I was on my way to RQ500.

If you saw the stream you’d notice I actually have a pretty poor garage with a little over 400 cars in total. My name (Dimitri Mashinskiy) is publicly visible in leaderboards but there is no chance you would have ever seen me anywhere near the top. When I do spend some tickets in an event, I get my **** kicked every time, my garage doesn’t stand even close to real players.

Finally, I never claimed I used the account for testing, I have a separate device for that. On a live version, I do have to check car stats when writing social posts, access KTplay, take screenshots, check whether bugs are actually appearing - there are many things I need the account for. I really want to stress that I do not play Top Drives competitively and I never added maxed (or not-maxed) cars to my account.

I hope that makes it clearer.

• lemmings99olemmings99o Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt hutch will ever comment on Dimcheatry adding cars to his account as there's no way for them to spin it as our fault.
  • lemmings99olemmings99o Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I foresee this thread getting locked soon lol
  • LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In his defence I’ve only heard one story about him in an important event and he did the correct thing there, I don’t doubt his integrity whatsoever. 
  • viddy1viddy1 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read, i always wondered when this topic would pop up.
    A friend of mine won a prizecar with fed wins from Dimitri. Dimitri was T1 in the first final he played when he started at Hutch, with half maxed legends and also tuned up epics in his hand, "to experience the gameplay on top?". Generously he stepped back from winning the prizecar and only got T2.
    Technically he may be right by saying he never added maxed cars to his garage, but in that final above...half maxed legends for a returning or new player to the game looked a bit suspicious imo. Also his 8k trophys show that he plays the game atleast a little competitive , you dont get these for farming .