Skip to content

So, which prize car will be the next event prize?

Comments

• RobGripesRobGripes Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hutch_Tim said:
    TD42792 said:
    Fwiw (not much), I think this is going one big headache no matter which way it goes
    I suspect that is likely to be true. The question is if it's preferable to the alternative of changing things significantly and not allowing retunes at all. It seems worth a try at least. I also like that it has the side-benefit of allowing a few old bad tunes to be fixed (like my 978 Datsun 240Z, that did not work out).

Regarding the 'skill' of identifying the best tunes, I personally use my races in the ~48 hours of a Finals event looking for opponents that have cars I'm in the process of tuning, to track their times. I'll take a loss if I have to, just to get that information. Then for the final 24 hours I can commit to a tune knowing how well it will work in the event, and if players in the T1/top-of-T2 are stable, I'll even who it means I'll then be able to beat. (Technically, as you can tell from these prize car benchmarking posts, I can look that info up at any time, but my policy is to never use my access to give myself an advantage over players, so I gather it like anyone else can).

Disabling re-tuning during Finals is kind of interesting, but I suspect is coding effort that could more usefully go somewhere else. A more general solution that reuses existing code might be that re-tuning works like a 'fuse' that takes 72 hours to complete... but again that still might not be the best use of resources.

Hi Tim, nice to see you on the forums again. 

I wonder could the no retune during finals be simplified somehow? There has to be a relatively easy way to do it. 

[code for retune feature] disabled: true. IF statement: event name includes 'finals'.

I am obviously not a coder, but I am picturing a 'tag' of sorts on finals events that lets the game know to execute the final line of the code that disables retune feature for that duration. That way once it is set up, the game will turn return off whenever any event that fulfils the finals criteria is on. 
  • NicooooooNicoooooo Posts: 44 ✭✭
    RobGripes said:
    Hutch_Tim said:
    TD42792 said:
    Fwiw (not much), I think this is going one big headache no matter which way it goes
    I suspect that is likely to be true. The question is if it's preferable to the alternative of changing things significantly and not allowing retunes at all. It seems worth a try at least. I also like that it has the side-benefit of allowing a few old bad tunes to be fixed (like my 978 Datsun 240Z, that did not work out).

Regarding the 'skill' of identifying the best tunes, I personally use my races in the ~48 hours of a Finals event looking for opponents that have cars I'm in the process of tuning, to track their times. I'll take a loss if I have to, just to get that information. Then for the final 24 hours I can commit to a tune knowing how well it will work in the event, and if players in the T1/top-of-T2 are stable, I'll even who it means I'll then be able to beat. (Technically, as you can tell from these prize car benchmarking posts, I can look that info up at any time, but my policy is to never use my access to give myself an advantage over players, so I gather it like anyone else can).

Disabling re-tuning during Finals is kind of interesting, but I suspect is coding effort that could more usefully go somewhere else. A more general solution that reuses existing code might be that re-tuning works like a 'fuse' that takes 72 hours to complete... but again that still might not be the best use of resources.

I wonder could the no retune during finals be simplified somehow? There has to be a relatively easy way to do it. 

[code for retune feature] disabled: true. IF statement: event name includes 'finals'.

I am obviously not a coder, but I am picturing a 'tag' of sorts on finals events that lets the game know to execute the final line of the code that disables retune feature for that duration. That way once it is set up, the game will turn return off whenever any event that fulfils the finals criteria is on. 
    Or maybe allow the retune only once per car when it's maxed so that it becomes (2.3 2.3 2.3) and you have to put the 6 available upgrades wherever you want to correct a bad fuse (without needing to put some cars into it again) ?
    This way, it could maybe prevent the same players from switching every time fuses for some cars to adapt to the tracksets of each event and then always getting top rewards.

And if the said car is corrected in a future update, maybe allow this "retune" again.
  • AslanVAslanV Posts: 981 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I didn't recall the lotus being offered as a prized car Oo

EDIT : just an oooooold one !

By the way' I noticed that the A with won with temporary tag are all the prized A with a lower RQ.
    I guess next will be either the 22B, the Alfa/volvo BTCC or Honda NSX-R :)
    Post edited by AslanV on
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch_Tim can we please have some communication on the owners prize before the inevitable leak-rage-moan cycle? This is arguably the best prize car in the game so owners will be expecting more than the Cayenne GTS last time.
    @Hutch_Tim @Hutch_Dmitri Any word on what prize car will be offered for the owners?
  • JayJay Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring it back to life again. Maybe @Hutch_Tim can tell us about the latest offering.
  • lemmings99olemmings99o Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay said:
    Bring it back to life again. Maybe @Hutch_Tim can tell us about the latest offering.
    Was expecting an epic as the last proper tri-series for one was the metro 6r4 in march wasn't it? The Muira in may was a single event if I remember correctly. Unless we're not having tri-series's for epics anymore?
  • Hutch_TimHutch_Tim Posts: 678 admin
    RobGripes said:

Hi! Nice to see you too. I do have to spend more time thinking about our other games these days, but it's nice to check in here on this thread with my regular benchmarks.

So the cost of your proposal is more complexity (which means it takes more time and more can go wrong). The benefits as I understand them are:
    a) Even if we ran a relatively short re-tune window, any Finals in that time would be unaffected
    b) With the primary concern of Finals addressed, the re-tune window could perhaps run for longer

As a feature that will (we hope) only ever be used in Top Drives extremely rarely, we'd be less inclined to make it any more complicated than it has to be, as that code/QA time could go on things with longer effects - but I don't have a good idea of what would really be involved here so couldn't say if it was definitely worth it or not.

Regarding prize cars for Owner's Challenges, this won't be the thread for those I'm afraid. Generally it gets announced very soon after it finally gets decided.

Anyway, on to the Pagani Zonda Revolución:

The closest comparator is the RQ97 McLaren P1 GTR. The Zonda is lighter but has worse MRA (and while it has a higher top speed, it still doesn't beat the P1 GTR in the Test Bowl). As a result it only wins on the slower twisties like G-Force and Slalom. Given it has Slick tires and the P1 GTR has Performance that's perhaps a bit surprising, but then there isn't as much granularity in RQ at the very top end of the range.

More notable is that this Zonda looks unsurpassed among the Italian cars of Top Drives: I picked out the Lamborghini Centenario to represent the raft of top-tier 4WD/Perf Italian cars and the Zonda still wins everywhere.
  • TD42792TD42792 Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gets beaten by lc2. Ouch. Should have better mra at rq97 or with current stats should be rq 95 or 96 at best
  • TopDrives40778TopDrives40778 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TD42792 said:
    gets beaten by lc2. Ouch. Should have better mra at rq97 or with current stats should be rq 95 or 96 at best
    LC2 wins 3 and Zonda wins 3 of those 6 tested tracks, with the majority of remaining tracks being twisty where the Zonda would likely win
    @Hutch_Tim As a personal request, would you be able to use different coloring for these comparisons in the future?  Even a bolder shade of blue and a lighter shade of red would work.  As someone who is partially colorblind, sometimes subtle shades get lost next to each other.  I really had to stop and study the chart, to find the differences.  Thank you for any small consideration.  :)
    Thank you.  Much better. :)
    No qualifications this time ?

Do we have something scheduled for later in December ? :3 

Like the DS3 Racing for the 19-20 Dec,

And some gifts for the Christmas WE ?
    Owners challenge car better be good considering how good this prize car is.
  • LEGENDNADALEGENDNADA Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An ER legend will be good for owner challenge, a good one maybe
    An ER legend will be good for owner challenge, a good one maybe
    McLaren 675lt so not even any usable tags
    Maybe one of these next?

Fuuuuuuuuuu
    HeissRod said:
    ToFuuuuuuuuuu

• bluedogsnoopbluedogsnoop Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    IFuuuuuuuuuudontknowmebynow.....

• TD42792TD42792 Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please no
    HeissRod said:
    IFuuuuuuuuuuleavemenowyoulltakeawaythebiggestpartofme

• David_FookDavid_Fook Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random Instagram post. If TD use the quoted 0-100 time, the MRA will be 116

Normal event showing as starting tonight, so no tri-series by the looks of it.
    After xmas for the next one I reckon.
  • BasilBasil Posts: 372 ✭✭✭
    Normal event showing as starting tonight, so no tri-series by the looks of it.
    After xmas for the next one I reckon.
    I guess update is coming. Considering the problems in the past, good idea of Hutch not to plan something ‘serious’ when this happens. 😘
    There is still a one week notice before... And Youtubers teasing cars... 

My bet is on a specific event like the Porsche A last time (Rehearsal/Validation of code ?)
    I'm not expecting an update, I reckon there'll just be xmas events instead.
    No one would sensibly release an update the week before Christmas when support staff will be minimal and if there are issues developers will be on their break. Oh wait....
  • NinjaDesignzNinjaDesignz Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random Instagram post. If TD use the quoted 0-100 time, the MRA will be 116

Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure the Countach is much much faster to 100 mph in the game lol
    No one would sensibly release an update the week before Christmas when support staff will be minimal and if there are issues developers will be on their break. Oh wait....
    Lolz