Skip to content

Another final, another carousel

Comments

• LittleEnosBurdetteLittleEnosBurdette Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really cannot see any positive from it, for anyone.
    I’m not sure I fully understand you here, there’s plenty of positives for players playing as a team or setting up co-ops. For a lot of players now TD has stagnated quite a bit, it’s actually a big part of their enjoyment left in the game, whether that’s helping a friend/contact out, (I’ll get your back this time, you get mine next time) or ganging up to stop an old enemy getting a prize car. 

Not a fan personally of how this has developed but it’s a very large aspect of the game now, the last 2/3 events I’ve came up against co-op groups. 
  • G_anlucaG_anluca Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited January 9

I’m not sure I fully understand you here, there’s plenty of positives for players playing as a team or setting up co-ops. For a lot of players now TD has stagnated quite a bit, it’s actually a big part of their enjoyment left in the game, whether that’s helping a friend/contact out, (I’ll get your back this time, you get mine next time) or ganging up to stop an old enemy getting a prize car. 

Not a fan personally of how this has developed but it’s a very large aspect of the game now, the last 2/3 events I’ve came up against co-op groups. 

Sorry, but i disagree completely.
    Players playing as a team isn't the game purpose of this multiplayer mode. Hutch tried that type of game mode, failing, with clubs.
    One thing is cooperating vs the game, but here they are cooperating vs alone players. This is totally unfair and ruin the game for the "loyal" players. The purpose of the game is not to find friends on socials.
    I totally agree with @TD42792 : my personal expierence is exactly what he described. I lost interest in spending money/time to improve the garage or spending ticket cause it is useless in this situation. And i would like that to change cause i like this game. In the mean time players who don't deserved, get precious cars whithout spending money/time that is supposed to. Hutch looses with this situation: don't get money from "loyal" players cause they surrender and from "helped" players that doesn't need to cause they are... helped. I cannot see why they haven't take measures or why they accpet that.

I hope that some time, if there will not be any type of change, at least the prize cars would be awarded ONLY in the challenges. I i don't see how me and other players can recover vs players that for all this time (at least one year) has become stronger obtaining all those cars...
  • TD42792TD42792 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it can be fun for the top 10 perhaps, but not fun for all the people below, not good for the game, and not good for Hutch.

Not even sure it is even fun for the top 10 actually. I did it once or twice and it ruined the enjoyment / excitement of the final for me. I was in the group so no matter my hand or how I played I would end up with the prize car anyway. It was boring and it did not feel good doing it, kinda like cheating. Also was told very specifically what I was allowed to do or not within the hierarchy, yuck.

Compare that with putting resources into upgrades, planning a strategy, doing the last few ticket spams at the end to clinch a win. Still more interesting and exciting to me even if I dont make top 10 in the end. I guess some people prefer an easy dumb steal win to a tough battle.

Sure the game routines have become boring, and seeing a friend around and helping each other adds a dimension that makes it a bit more interesting/fun. But the top 10 ganging up business is something different, it is shifting the paradigm, transforming the game.
    TD42792 said:

I guess it can be fun for the top 10 perhaps, but not fun for all the people below, not good for the game, and not good for Hutch.

Not even sure it is even fun for the top 10 actually. I did it once or twice and it ruined the enjoyment / excitement of the final for me. I was in the group so no matter my hand or how I played I would end up with the prize car anyway. It was boring and it did not feel good doing it, kinda like cheating. Also was told very specifically what I was allowed to do or not within the hierarchy, yuck.

Compare that with putting resources into upgrades, planning a strategy, doing the last few ticket spams at the end to clinch a win. Still more interesting and exciting to me even if I dont make top 10 in the end. I guess some people prefer an easy dumb steal win to a tough battle.

Sure the game routines have become boring, and seeing a friend around and helping each other adds a dimension that makes it a bit more interesting/fun. But the top 10 ganging up business is something different, it is shifting the paradigm, transforming the game.
    You’re not getting any argument from me on any of your points fella, all I’m saying is some people enjoy this aspect of the game compared to the boring routine that the game by and large has become. Without the ability to play as a team they may lose a lot of players, spenders too. 
    G_anluca said:

Players playing as a team isn't the game purpose of this multiplayer mode. Hutch tried that type of game mode, failing, with clubs.
    One thing is cooperating vs the game, but here they are cooperating vs alone players. This is totally unfair and ruin the game for the "loyal" players. The purpose of the game is not to find friends on socials.
    I totally agree with @TD42792 : my personal expierence is exactly what he described. I lost interest in spending money/time to improve the garage or spending ticket cause it is useless in this situation. And i would like that to change cause i like this game. In the mean time players who don't deserved, get precious cars whithout spending money/time that is supposed to. Hutch looses with this situation: don't get money from "loyal" players cause they surrender and from "helped" players that doesn't need to cause they are... helped. I cannot see why they haven't take measures or why they accpet that.

I hope that some time, if there will not be any type of change, at least the prize cars would be awarded ONLY in the challenges. I i don't see how me and other players can recover vs players that for all this time (at least one year) has become stronger obtaining all those cars...
    How can you disagree when I’m just stating a fact? 🤷🏻‍♂️
    If I can also say, I wouldn’t like complete anonymity in an event as some suggest, regardless of the whole teaming up thing, I definitely like the aspect of the game that allows you to “get one over” on somebody you’ve locked horns with in the past. 
    edited January 9
    G_anluca said:

How can you disagree when I’m just stating a fact? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I disagree with the opinion that the facts you stated are plenty of positives.
    I see no positives. The game is altered and hit "normal" players. This isn't the way it should be played.
    If those players like to cooperate, let this be the "club" mode as I suggested. Teams vs teams. Not teams vs lonley players. I see no enjoyment in this and I consider it like a sort of a cheating.
    And i can't consider a postitive thing that this people enjoy the game.
    Post edited by G_anluca on
  • aelburtaelburt Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited January 9
    So, i just read some messages from before and man, w**! Really? Really some players still say "the game how it goes now it's interesting and we can't do nothing to change it becasue now it's the normality"?
    I think all these players that commented like that are already using this type of play(groups game), otherwise i can't really explain this comments. 
    Someone asked what are the good things about playing in this competitive way. Positive things are many and for everyone, even hutch: for the players, there is confrontation with everyone. There is the challenge, the ingenuity to create or have a better hand than others. For hutch it's all extra cash in their coffers, as surely more tickets would be used than usual. 
    I only see co-ops when there's a way to do that, clan vs clan style. So yes, my group challenges yours for who is the best. But I repeat, only if there is a mode on purpose(they tried with clubs but totally failed). In the finals this only ruins the game. How can you think that finals made in this way are fun? Maybe they are for those who wake up in the morning and say "what a beautiful day, today I will have my prize car without moving a finger". Contrary to all the people below who kill themselves to have a place in the top 10. 

If I can also say, I wouldn’t like complete anonymity in an event as some suggest, regardless of the whole teaming up thing, I definitely like the aspect of the game that allows you to “get one over” on somebody you’ve locked horns with in the past. 
    You can kick a** to anyone you want, but not in the finals. Finals should be same for all! 
    The fact remains that some people like to play in a team, some don’t. Was it the way the game was designed? Well no, but I can’t see Hutch spending much time or effort into resolving the issue tbh. 
  • TD42792TD42792 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact remains that some people like to play in a team, some don’t. Was it the way the game was designed? Well no, but I can’t see Hutch spending much time or effort into resolving the issue tbh. 
    Agreed some people like playing like this, incl. some big spenders who might be lost if it went to full anonymity.

Perhaps you could have 2 types of events:
    1/ completely anonymous
    2/ as it is, so people can team up if they like that. Or even better, have an actual ‘team’ play mode, where you need to team up with people and it would be displayed as such in the leaderboards with some sort of icon for each team. Like teams of 10, that can be chosen beforehand or during the event. At least it wouldnt be this weird half-game mode where you’re constantly wondering if people are ganging up on you or not

Then everyone would be happy :)
  • TopDrives34865TopDrives34865 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

That's unacceptable. Hutch please consider adding a limit hour to join events, because playing in a bracket where 50 players shouldn't be is just surviving. Annoyingly annoying, and I'm sure I'm not the only one...
    Of course I wasn't pretending to tier 1 or even 4, but seeing a CF leaving your reach because of late entryers disgusting, even more when they should not be able to join an already overfilled (504 3 hours before end) bracket
  • NicooooooNicoooooo Posts: 65 ✭✭

That's unacceptable. Hutch please consider adding a limit hour to join events, because playing in a bracket where 50 players shouldn't be is just surviving. Annoyingly annoying, and I'm sure I'm not the only one...
    Of course I wasn't pretending to tier 1 or even 4, but seeing a CF leaving your reach because of late entryers disgusting, even more when they should not be able to join an already overfilled (504 3 hours before end) bracket
    Agreed. It's unfortunately too often the case in big events like these. And even on ceramic events, there shouldn't be more players than the limit. 
    i saw that they speak about this problem on today live stream but  i cant understand if they are going to try to solve it or not. Someone could please do a fast recap of what they said? around min 30:00 on youtube.
  • greddygreddy Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21
    If they wanted to solve it, they could do it long time ago. There is very easy solution. Remove points for opponent when i press quit. Player -22pts as it is. Opponent 0.

But players buying tickets doing it, so its not in Hutch interest to remove it. 
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21
    No, that would not solve it.  If you get opponents you can't beat, then just quit the race.  No penalty.  The whole risk of playing a ticket is that you have to play it.  You can't just quit out with a 0 point loss, if you don't like your opponents. (assuming you can't find a tie)  
  • greddygreddy Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21
    I said it. If i quit is - 22pts for me, but opponent does not get points as he gets now. 
    Ah, I see that now
  • KcrayKcray Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    greddy said:
    If they wanted to solve it, they could do it long time ago. There is very easy solution. Remove points for opponent when i press quit. Player -22pts as it is. Opponent 0.

I agree. Then the only way they can feed wins to others is for them to put their cards in vulnerable races (ex. perf tires on off road).

It solves part of the problem. Then the strategy that would be used is to put the 3 best hands at the bottom to be gate keepers.

Something else that perhaps could be considered is on the "select your opponent screen". Right now you typically have 6 players to choose - 3 below and 3 above. Might be worth further analysis on changing that to 2 below and 4 above, or something along those lines. It makes more of the group working together to get prize car more vulnerable. It seems like 3-4 of the people have dominant hands that try and help protect the others.
    Kcray said:
    greddy said:

I agree. Then the only way they can feed wins to others is for them to put their cards in vulnerable races (ex. perf tires on off road).
    That randomly happens with quitting anyways.
  • KcrayKcray Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    Kcray said:
    greddy said:

That randomly happens with quitting anyways.
    you are correct...brain fart
  • milewski1015milewski1015 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As was mentioned in the livestream, it’s hard for hutch to do anything about this because it’s tough to have specific evidence that there are weaker players towards the top that are being protected by a wall of strong players down below. If you’re in 11th and are getting your butt handed to you by a couple guys in 8th, 9th, or 10th, how do you know that the guy up in 1st has a really weak hand and is being protected? Maybe he had a dummy hand in before while fusing and has a completely new hand in and moved up to 1st because of that. What’s to even say that 8th-10th are actively collaborating together? There’s a blurred line between people actively collaborating and people just playing strategically. If I’m in 10th place and I can beat you in 11th on 3 sets but only the guys in 8th and 9th on 1 set, odds are I’ll be hitting you more than them. Maybe the guys in 8th and 9th can beat you for 3 stars while only beating me for 1 star. Any player that has played the game for a decent period of time knows it’s a smart play to try and build a gap between the prize car tier and the non-prize car tier to potentially prevent the possibility of getting spammed out at the last minute. 

If you remove Facebook names, then you’re just left with TD#s which can also be communicated between players. If you make it just “7th place”, “11th place”, etc. that makes it more difficult when rapidly playing tickets at the end to identify who you’re racing against. Sure, that makes it more difficult for people to actively team, but if it’s the end of the event and I can only beat one guy, I don’t want to be scrolling through 6 hands trying to figure out which one he is based on his car tunes - I want to be able to quickly identify him and play my tickets as fast as possible. If he has a similar hand to others, as well as rapidly changing places, that prevents me from playing as efficiently as possible which I don’t think is what Hutch wants to do. 

As aforementioned, limiting players to a single opponent isn’t the answer - long-term players remember that’s how the game used to be and how annoying it was to get matched against a player you can’t beat and you have to take a loss.

At this point in time, I don’t see active collaboration being eliminated without significant changes to matchmaking and events. Hutch would probably prefer to prioritize revenue-generating content. Their decision to handle things on a case by case basis using evidence provided by “victims” is as good of a solution as any at the moment. I work with a couple friends I’ve made throughout the game every now and again, but it’s been quite a while since I’ve personally seen (US servers) an entire T1 (now T1 and T2) completely protected/facilitated by a select few. The last example I can recall of that was way back in the Bugatti days where he was contacted by Hutch during the event and told to stand down. 
  • lemmings99olemmings99o Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As was mentioned in the livestream, it’s hard for hutch to do anything about this because it’s tough to have specific evidence that there are weaker players towards the top that are being protected by a wall of strong players down below. If you’re in 11th and are getting your butt handed to you by a couple guys in 8th, 9th, or 10th, how do you know that the guy up in 1st has a really weak hand and is being protected? Maybe he had a dummy hand in before while fusing and has a completely new hand in and moved up to 1st because of that. What’s to even say that 8th-10th are actively collaborating together? There’s a blurred line between people actively collaborating and people just playing strategically. If I’m in 10th place and I can beat you in 11th on 3 sets but only the guys in 8th and 9th on 1 set, odds are I’ll be hitting you more than them. Maybe the guys in 8th and 9th can beat you for 3 stars while only beating me for 1 star. Any player that has played the game for a decent period of time knows it’s a smart play to try and build a gap between the prize car tier and the non-prize car tier to potentially prevent the possibility of getting spammed out at the last minute. 

If you remove Facebook names, then you’re just left with TD#s which can also be communicated between players. If you make it just “7th place”, “11th place”, etc. that makes it more difficult when rapidly playing tickets at the end to identify who you’re racing against. Sure, that makes it more difficult for people to actively team, but if it’s the end of the event and I can only beat one guy, I don’t want to be scrolling through 6 hands trying to figure out which one he is based on his car tunes - I want to be able to quickly identify him and play my tickets as fast as possible. If he has a similar hand to others, as well as rapidly changing places, that prevents me from playing as efficiently as possible which I don’t think is what Hutch wants to do. 

As aforementioned, limiting players to a single opponent isn’t the answer - long-term players remember that’s how the game used to be and how annoying it was to get matched against a player you can’t beat and you have to take a loss.

At this point in time, I don’t see active collaboration being eliminated without significant changes to matchmaking and events. Hutch would probably prefer to prioritize revenue-generating content. Their decision to handle things on a case by case basis using evidence provided by “victims” is as good of a solution as any at the moment. I work with a couple friends I’ve made throughout the game every now and again, but it’s been quite a while since I’ve personally seen (US servers) an entire T1 (now T1 and T2) completely protected/facilitated by a select few. The last example I can recall of that was way back in the Bugatti days where he was contacted by Hutch during the event and told to stand down. 
    It's probably rare but it does happen, the Bugatti situation "was it for the metro 6r4?" Was slightly different as he was keeping the other 7 people up himself.

The koenigsegg final we just had the entire top 10 was locked out by 1 group and everyone else was kept out by coordinated attacks on whoever was 11th, keeping slightly weaker hands out of reach of 11th.
  • bluedogsnoopbluedogsnoop Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lemmings99o said:

It's probably rare but it does happen, the Bugatti situation "was it for the metro 6r4?" Was slightly different as he was keeping the other 7 people up himself.
    It was for the 760RS finals. He even posted a thread to memorialise the occasion 🙄
    Interesting names in that group too. 👀👀

https://forums.hutchgames.com/discussion/5189/bugatti-shock-and-awe-campaign-memory-sake/p1
    Yes, I was on the receiving end of Bugatti's graces in that event

The "Evidences" hutch spoke of are many. I wouldn't think they don't know them... I think they don't take them into consideration as much as the whole problem. First, the groups of people that are created among the various groups of facebook, discord and so on(followed by people who privately say "hey we're in the same group with others, let's cooperate!"). Here surely one "pretends" not to know? Second, as you wrote, who is in the positions just below the top 10, somehow would like to go up, right? So, to give an example, if I am eleventh, I try to take points both from above and from below. So as a result, whoever is above will go down and will have to score points from whoever is above and below to survive. And so on up to the first. But if you then form a block from the tenth onwards, creating a really big gap, it seems almost impossible that there is not something underneath .. 
    I've been playing for a long time and have seen many times in the finals 3-4 people get gaps with the others, so that's a good thing. But when you have groups of 8-9-10 people, you paralyze the whole server and even if you have a good hand to get into the top 10 you will always be targeted by everyone. So you are forced to know someone, and the taste of competition is totally lost.The third thing, even worse, is when after almost a day of racing in the top 10 you magically find yourself out, incredibly, without having a chance to re-enter when until recently you were there to fight for a good position. More evident than that ..

"I don’t want to be scrolling through 6 hands trying to figure out which one he is based on his car tunes - I want to be able to quickly identify him and play my tickets as fast as possible". 
    So are you lazy? Do you prefer the easy way out? I think you have to play it with everyone, and then analyze all the possible players with whom you can win and not have the preference of who to attack. And not because there is 1 minute to go "I always beat him so I go easy". No. Even if I beat a short time I try to play with anyone.

I can't really understand why can't hide (hide and not change to other names or acronyms) your name and just show the position you are in at that moment. In terms of programming, it's not even that complicated to do. So simple and straightforward. I don't know who you are, I'm obliged to fight you if I'm sure I could win.  Maybe adding that if you have to choose who to fight against,if you are in position 7, they are placed in random positions. (vs 4-5-6-8-9-10? so maybe see in order 10-4-6-5-9-8).

If this game hadn't evolved into a game where to win, if you're not necessarily in a group of people, you don't win, things would be very different. It is no longer a fair game, it is no longer a game where whoever has the best cars wins. Now you can have even a mediocre hand and win without applying too much, just have the right frienships watching your back. And those who deserve the cars, do not win them.

edited January 23
    What Hutch answered in the live stream was very depressing for me.

Seems like they don't care or don't wan't to find a solution. They've said that is "risky" and they would ban people if they see evidence. But what evidence? Private conversations? Do they alredy ban someone? Do we have to transform urselves into a police and be hateful people to try to maintain the game fair by ratting out in socials?

If Hutch looks at servers stats, i think is very easy to see at least who boosts weaks hands up in the ladder, out of the reach of T2... isn't that an evidence? I don't think who do this is "smart playing".

I've already stated that for me this situation is unfair: a bunch of people united vs solo players.  At least seems they shyly stated it is "illegal"... but I would have liked a more strong position against and surely something like they are seeking for a (hard to find) solution instead of "let's make a player risky decision".

• JaguarDTMJaguarDTM Posts: 449 ✭✭✭
    typical useless support