Skip to content

Daily event and closing bracket in advance

AslanVAslanV Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
Hello
So there 19h to play, and we are already 169 in my bracket, isn't it a little to much ??

Tiers reward are still the same...

Comments

• _HighVoltage__HighVoltage_ Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm in that same bracket. This is absolutely unacceptable - Tier bands should adjust automatically based on % overflow. This wouldn't even be that difficult to code in.
  • Hutch_DmitriHutch_Dmitri Posts: 361 admin
    Hi both,

Thanks a lot for letting us know about this bracket. This is clearly not right.

The issue has been noted to be investigated in the future. At this point in time, we can see that only this particular bracket is affected. With that in mind, please do let us know if you encounter this issue again.
    Hi both,

The issue has been noted to be investigated in the future. At this point in time, we can see that only this particular bracket is affected. With that in mind, please do let us know if you encounter this issue again.

Thanks, Dmitri! But what will be done about this bracket and its prize tiers?
    Hi both,

Thanks, Dmitri! But what will be done about this bracket and its prize tiers?
    Sadly, after looking into our options we've decided not to take action this time.

There were a few potential solutions considered, such as restarting the event, however the issue appears to be isolated to this particular bracket only, while the solution would affect all brackets.

At the moment, we do not have other sensible options to resolve the issue with this bracket, from the technical point of view.

Having said that, we did note the issue for an investigation in the future. Sorry I couldn't bring better news.
    Inaction...cute.

Do you guys ever resolve problem situations when they happen, or do you just put them down on the, seemingly infinite, list of things that need addressing? That is Jonathan's and Tim's catchphrase from the Q&A videos: "That's an interesting idea...it's on the list of things we will look into."

Total non-committal. This isn't the first time a bracket has overfilled to the extreme. It may be an isolated incident for this event. But it actually happens quite often in other dailies (I was in a bracket of 127 just a few weeks ago).

You need to fix the daily bracket overfilling issue as a priority. Stop worrying about fancy graphics - no one cares. And while you are at it, maybe you can get Robin to finally change-up the Daily Event rotation - it has stayed the same for over a year now. What's the point of implementing new flexible criteria if you are never going to use it in events?
  • greddygreddy Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    @Hutch_Dmitri this issue with overfilling dailies is known for many months. Wonder how you guys just found out about that issue just now. Is anyone at hutch even playing that game? 
  • AslanVAslanV Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    @greddy Usually there is overfilling near the end of the events, when you reach 110-120 persons.

Here we are 169 persons, and the event was overfilled by a big margin 4h after the start of the event. This is a first time for me. 

I am fighting for T4 reward between bugatti and S OFF (like the new pug')

That's sad that there is inaction for these 169 persons, but i guess we are not worth it..
  • NicooooooNicoooooo Posts: 69 ✭✭
    Overfilling is still one of the major problem of the game in nearly every event. While I don't mind it in dailies because I know I won't get the top prizes, it's more than frustrating to always loose prize tiers due to the same bug that is still not adressed after more than a year (maybe even 2) when you play bigger events. 
    AslanV said:
    @greddy Usually there is overfilling near the end of the events, when you reach 110-120 persons.

Here we are 169 persons, and the event was overfilled by a big margin 4h after the start of the event. This is a first time for me. 

That's sad that there is inaction for these 169 persons, but i guess we are not worth it..
    It's not that you are not worth it, we've had a look at the situation in your bracket, but our options in terms of taking action are very limited this time. 

The issue has been noted for the future review.
  • lemmings99olemmings99o Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AslanV said:

It's not that you are not worth it, we've had a look at the situation in your bracket, but our options in terms of taking action are very limited this time. 

There's gotta be a better way of solving the late joiner problem than overfilling all the brackets, Playing an event for 2-3 days just to see a late joiner ticket spam his way into the top 10 is infuriating, there should be a cut off time in events where if you enter the event within the first 75% of the duration of the event then it doesn't overfill at all, and then the brackets created in the last 25% of the duration are the ones that overfill at the end.
  • EndlessWavesEndlessWaves Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭
    AslanV said:

There's gotta be a better way of solving the late joiner problem than overfilling all the brackets, Playing an event for 2-3 days just to see a late joiner ticket spam his way into the top 10 is infuriating,
    I'm not convinced.

So you've got a great hand and want to buy your way to tier 1.  What are your primary considerations for choosing a bracket?

I'd would think

1. Low points count for tier 1 so you can buy fewer tickets 

2. As easy as possible opponents in tier 1. 

Late joining puts you in a random bracket (or will do when the stuck bracket/uneven fill bug(s) are fixed) so both are going to be average if you late join. 

Joining at a specific time would allow you to pick better than average conditions - I'm fairly sure a just-before-overfill bracket will have lower tier 1 points than the average bracket. I'm not sure how successful you can be at picking easier opponents but you're unlikely to do worse than average.  Clearly joining before cut-off is better for those criteria

So why might you late join if you wanted to ticket spam?

A better starting position? Well you start at 0 points if you late join, and I can't imagine there's many brackets where a top 10 capable hand will drop below 0 points if left for a day or two. 

Avoiding the attention of groups locking out tier 1? It's hard to see there's going to be much difference in response between a name rising up from 50th and one new to the leaderboard. 

I'm not seeing the advantage of late joining for ticket spammers?
  • KcrayKcray Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    AslanV said:

There's gotta be a better way of solving the late joiner problem than overfilling all the brackets, Playing an event for 2-3 days just to see a late joiner ticket spam his way into the top 10 is infuriating, there should be a cut off time in events where if you enter the event within the first 75% of the duration of the event then it doesn't overfill at all, and then the brackets created in the last 25% of the duration are the ones that overfill at the end.
    In reading this thread, Dmitri and Hutch's response was for this isolated 1 bracket in a daily event. Not speaking for Hutch, but the response/outcome could have been different if it were a more relevant event, but it was a daily where 1 person gets a ceramic. This isolated bracket issue is not a late joiner problem in my opinion.
  • lemmings99olemmings99o Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kcray said:
    AslanV said:

In reading this thread, Dmitri and Hutch's response was for this isolated 1 bracket in a daily event. Not speaking for Hutch, but the response/outcome could have been different if it were a more relevant event, but it was a daily where 1 person gets a ceramic. This isolated bracket issue is not a late joiner problem in my opinion.

It's connected to it tho as it's to do with overfill of brackets, I don't remember seeing an issue like this before they started the overfill procedure to counter late join. Overfill in any form is a bad idea imho however.
  • KcrayKcray Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    AslanV said:

There's gotta be a better way of solving the late joiner problem than overfilling all the brackets, Playing an event for 2-3 days just to see a late joiner ticket spam his way into the top 10 is infuriating,
    I'm not convinced.

So you've got a great hand and want to buy your way to tier 1.  What are your primary considerations for choosing a bracket?

I'd would think

1. Low points count for tier 1 so you can buy fewer tickets 

2. As easy as possible opponents in tier 1. 

Late joining puts you in a random bracket (or will do when the stuck bracket/uneven fill bug(s) are fixed) so both are going to be average if you late join. 

Joining at a specific time would allow you to pick better than average conditions - I'm fairly sure a just-before-overfill bracket will have lower tier 1 points than the average bracket. I'm not sure how successful you can be at picking easier opponents but you're unlikely to do worse than average.  Clearly joining before cut-off is better for those criteria

So why might you late join if you wanted to ticket spam?

A better starting position? Well you start at 0 points if you late join, and I can't imagine there's many brackets where a top 10 capable hand will drop below 0 points if left for a day or two. 

Avoiding the attention of groups locking out tier 1? It's hard to see there's going to be much difference in response between a name rising up from 50th and one new to the leaderboard. 

I'm not seeing the advantage of late joining for ticket spammers?
    If this thread is going down the path of discussing the late join problem, there needs to be a more unified definition of what a late join is. Is it joining in the last 24 hours? 12 hours? 4 hours? 2 hours? 30 minutes? 10 minutes?

Regarding the question of the late join advantage for ticket spamers and players with - from what I have seen, especially in tri-series related events, is that it prevents having to deal with teaming in a few scenarios off the top of my head. 

1. You don't have to deal with teaming, especially if you have a T1/T2 hand. You can get bombarded from people asking for a truce because you can beat them.

2.  If you join early, but don't get invited to a team of people working together, you become the target of that team. That requires you to use more tickets to stay in the running. I have experienced that joining events in the last 24 hours or so, drastically cuts down on teaming. It's less time for people to organize and create 300+ gaps between T1/T2 (old prize format) or T2/T3 (recent prize format). This makes it a bit easier to penetrate the top tiers if you have a good hand.

3. The simple cost of tickets and time. If you can join and spend 300-1000 gold and only be looking at your phone for 30 minutes, instead of looking at your phone every hour and spend more gold to stay in the hunt for T1/T2.

On the other end of the spectrum, there is the late join strategy for those with a very poor hand. If you don't have good cars (T5 hand) for the requirements, you can join in the last minute, do one race, and finish in the -15 points if you lose your race. Depending on the bracket and how the event is set up, that could be T3/T4. That pushes everyone below you down, even if they have a better hand than you. 

All of this being said, there have been ideas given to Hutch from members in here, on multiple threads, but its hard to come up with a scenario where it solves all of these problems and doesn't create others. Even having the ranks that are in each tier update as brackets overfill, it doesn't help the people at the top (assuming the % of players that receive the tier prize - ex. 2% get T1), whom are the ones complaining the most.

That's my $.02.
    Hey @Hutch_Dmitri look - another overfilling bracket, this was with 21hrs left till event end. I cropped the image for privacy matters.

Is this another "isolated" incident? No solution for this either except to pass down the bucket down the road?

What is the magic number of overfilling incidents that will actually prompt action from Hutch? 5? 10? 50?