Skip to content

New Championship...what is the hold up?

_HighVoltage__HighVoltage_ Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭
It has now been more than a year since the Yellowbird challenge was introduced. Majority of players have already finished it and wonder what is the hold up on creating a new one (or why it's taking so long). So let's examine:
  • Too difficult? Not really. The code and functionality already exists. The Renown currency already works, the Championship mode area is functional. It seems, at least from a player's perspective, that all that is needed is for someone from Hutch to create a new "event/championship." But maybe there is another issue?
  • Too time consuming? Again, not really. A regular challenge is 20-25 stages. A championship is basically the same thing, but it has 7x Areas and 10x Stages each...so that makes 70 stages. A bit more than a standard challenge, but not so overwhelming that a single Hutch employee can't make it in a couple of weeks (but certainly not a full year!)
  • No player interest? We've been asking for months
If you ask me, this is a huge wasted opportunity and I bet even Hutch coders are not happy that they put so much work creating an entire new mode and currency only for someone to not bother utilizing them more regularly. Why is the leadership prioritizing new graphics (something NO ONE has asked for) instead of gameplay features and improvements?

Maybe I'm wrong...maybe there's more to creating a new championship than what I can see or understand about the backend of the game. @Hutch_Robin care to weigh in and clarify? And please be specific this time. We've already heard the cop-out explanation "it's one of the things we are working on..."

Is there a particular reason why a new championship hasn't been introduced yet?

Comments

• nathanwindnathanwind Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    BoxtaS said:
    The championship could be re-used quickly and easily by swapping the tracksets to a different country and changing the prizes. 

I get the impression that the lack of innovation in Top Drives is that Hutch are not really working on Top Drives. It’s just on autopilot, which is a shame. 

Chinese New Year?
    new tag challenge?
    new championship?
    retune feature?
    titanium packs?
    IRGP series?
    ETB changes? 
    Car corrections?
    Bueller? Bueller? 

I think this is the uncomfortable truth as we see no concrete evidence to say otherwise. Doing a last year vs this as you put above tells me a stark truth.
  • nathanwindnathanwind Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    Count down to this thread being deleted and or redacted... 5,4,3,2
  • greddygreddy Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    You should get used to it. They make new feature and abandon it, just like with many other things in game. Overfilled brackets, titanium packs, clubs, championship, etc...

You know what a welcoming gift new players get? Starter pack advertises epic and they got UR instead. 3 months later and they still did not fix mistake like that. Really nice intruduction to the game for new players. 
    Post edited by greddy on
  • _HighVoltage__HighVoltage_ Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭
    Also, they aren't a big company, just a small studio, they lack personal to take care of all of the homework. I dare to say that they're biting more than they can chew.
    We just got to be patients, give them time to grow. They (still) are learning how to develope games (after like 7 years).
    You've drank the cool aid they've given you. Not a big company...a small studio...they just got bought for $375 million by MTG. Hardly the small studio they pretend to be.

Patience? I've been playing for 3.5 years now and the game still feels like it's in beta stage (constant freezing and crashing, floating cards, etc...) If they are still learning, why are we (and our wallets) the guinea pigs?

Also...we better not still be playing this game in 7 years. We would all need serious counseling for addiction (but maybe we need that already)

• AslanVAslanV Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Also...we better not still be playing this game in 7 years. We would all need serious counseling for addiction (but maybe we need that already)

Oh yeah we need it,

But with some of the new changes, like the new tuning, I hope I will be bored by the game. Yep, my hope is for them to destroy the game xD

I don't care about the graphics as I skip the race (I do prefer having a summary table at the end) or some others improvements too.
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has now been more than a year since the Yellowbird challenge was introduced. Majority of players have already finished it and wonder what is the hold up on creating a new one (or why it's taking so long). So let's examine:
    • Too difficult? Not really. The code and functionality already exists. The Renown currency already works, the Championship mode area is functional. It seems, at least from a player's perspective, that all that is needed is for someone from Hutch to create a new "event/championship." But maybe there is another issue?
    • Too time consuming? Again, not really. A regular challenge is 20-25 stages. A championship is basically the same thing, but it has 7x Areas and 10x Stages each...so that makes 70 stages. A bit more than a standard challenge, but not so overwhelming that a single Hutch employee can't make it in a couple of weeks (but certainly not a full year!)
    If you ask me, this is a huge wasted opportunity and I bet even Hutch coders are not happy that they put so much work creating an entire new mode and currency only for someone to not bother utilizing them more regularly. Why is the leadership prioritizing new graphics (something NO ONE has asked for) instead of gameplay features and improvements?

Maybe I'm wrong...maybe there's more to creating a new championship than what I can see or understand about the backend of the game. @Hutch_Robin care to weigh in and clarify? And please be specific this time. We've already heard the cop-out explanation "it's one of the things we are working on..."

I asked for better graphics 3 years ago lol. 
    Why?  How would this further the game?  The only plus I can see from doing this is to entice new users.  A change like that doesn't seem like it would do anything towards retaining existing players.
  • Hutch_DmitriHutch_Dmitri Posts: 327 admin
    HeissRod said:

Why?  How would this further the game?  The only plus I can see from doing this is to entice new users.  A change like that doesn't seem like it would do anything towards retaining existing players.
    It's not just the 3d graphics that will change however, we will be introducing a much more modern and slick UI which doesn't only look good, but has a function of allowing us to bring on new features, and removing limits of the current UI. You will have more content to play in many ways thanks to the new UI. Right now, UI is top priority for the team.

As for championships, there is absolutely huge interest for this mode, and I fully agree that it has been overlooked, just like the Clubs. In many ways, it's a matter of priorities, as we have a rather small dev team at the moment, however there are plans to expand if necessary. 
  • _HighVoltage__HighVoltage_ Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭
    It's not just the 3d graphics that will change however, we will be introducing a much more modern and slick UI which doesn't only look good, but has a function of allowing us to bring on new features, and removing limits of the current UI. You will have more content to play in many ways thanks to the new UI. Right now, UI is top priority for the team.

As for championships, there is absolutely huge interest for this mode, and I fully agree that it has been overlooked, just like the Clubs. In many ways, it's a matter of priorities, as we have a rather small dev team at the moment, however there are plans to expand if necessary. 
    I hope the team realizes that UI improvements go hand-in-hand with car picture corrections and improvements. Currently some are so poor or have been wrong for years that if you improve the graphics around them, it will make their atrocity pop up even more.

You didn't actually address any of my questions regarding the delay in introducing a New Championship. We are not buying the "small dev team" line anymore. Especially since if you look at my original post, I outline the ease of creating a new championship (you didn't say I was wrong on any of my points)

• Hutch_DmitriHutch_Dmitri Posts: 327 admin

I hope the team realizes that UI improvements go hand-in-hand with car picture corrections and improvements. Currently some are so poor or have been wrong for years that if you improve the graphics around them, it will make their atrocity pop up even more.

You didn't actually address any of my questions regarding the delay in introducing a New Championship. We are not buying the "small dev team" line anymore. Especially since if you look at my original post, I outline the ease of creating a new championship (you didn't say I was wrong on any of my points)

We do recognise that some card images are not on par with the quality we want, and I know that the team has considered various options at improving those, including having unique 3D renders for each car. Obviously, this is a very costly and long project as we expect the number of cars to go beyond the current 2100+, so having renders for each car is a massive undertaking, but it's definitely on the cards for the future.

Regarding the Championship, yes, sorry, I didn't address your points, mainly because I'm not one to talk about design, although I recognise that you are probably right in your assumptions. Yet, the new Championship is not here, and as far as I'm aware, we are currently limited by the capacity of our artists who are obviously busy working on the new UI/UX. 

• juan_cruz_96juan_cruz_96 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    Also, they aren't a big company, just a small studio, they lack personal to take care of all of the homework. I dare to say that they're biting more than they can chew.
    We just got to be patients, give them time to grow. They (still) are learning how to develope games (after like 7 years).
    You've drank the cool aid they've given you. Not a big company...a small studio...they just got bought for $375 million by MTG. Hardly the small studio they pretend to be. 

The fact that they were bought doesn't mean that the studio suddenly grown from 150 persons to 1000 in the few weeks that have passed. And Dmitri just proved my point.
    HeissRod said:

It was an irony. I started playing a little more than 3 years ago. Do you think that, at this point, I care about graphics? Not more than I care about all the other things I listed.