Skip to content

Missing Traditional Weekly Challenge?

HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 13 in General Discussion
Hutch, why didn't the weekly challenge come back this week?  I thought we previously had a 2-week hiatus, waiting for the new challenge structure to come in, before it would come back?

Comments

• KcrayKcray Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited April 13
    @HeissRod Doesn’t sound like it’s coming back   🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
  • GymopenGymopen Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    Rip weekly challenge. Was nice knowing ya. 
  • GymopenGymopen Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    *chat: "F"
  • KcrayKcray Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    I’ll wait and see what they come up with before getting frustrated. I would have liked for this to be communicated through all channels in advance. It just throws a wrinkle in the weekly cash flow. 
  • O__VERO__VER Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or they could do something about it before it's a problem. Hutch have a history of making decisions like this and not thinking about how the player base might be affected. Maybe some better interaction would help, but overall they need a bit more thought.
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, this is nearly as bad as when they tried to remove the daily
  • MoogMoog Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭
    As well as being fun and having good cash prizes (which I'm sure will be replaced by whatever is coming). The weekly challenges also gave good fuse material from the prize boards, something which is going to be hard to come by now.
  • Hutch_RobinHutch_Robin Posts: 953 admin
    HeissRod said:
    I thought we previously had a 2-week hiatus, waiting for the new challenge structure to come in, before it would come back?
    No, it was more there was a two week blackout of all challenges while we transitions to the new set up.
    O__VER said:
    So essentially we're down like $50k+ cash and a ceramic every week, with nothing to replace it? Jesus, the game just gets stingier and stingier. At least step up cash values on prizeboards or event rewards or something.
    No, this is false. We're running more challenges and income is likely to be up vs. before. Just as we monitor engagement and difficulty, we monitor cash income from challenges and use that in future designs.

In the 15 days since launch, we've run 11 challenges. I hope we can trial out many new challenge types in the coming days and weeks.
  • milewski1015milewski1015 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was originally pretty disappointed reading that there wouldn’t be a weekly challenge anymore. “What about all the resources we’re missing out on?” Those thoughts formed while completely forgetting about the existence of the Tri-Series Tune Ups. Not sure exactly how the cash side of things fleshes out in comparison, but I figure we’re essentially trading a vanilla ceramic once a week for a finals-specific CF every two weeks. Maybe I’m just looking at it with a “glass half-full” mentality, but that doesn’t sound like as bad of a situation as I originally thought. 

As @_HighVoltage_ highlights, you mention that this new challenge environment will be prioritized for testing out new types of challenges. I’m all for changes that allow new functionality and content, but in order for that to feel like a step in the right direction, shouldn’t there be a baseline of guaranteed content that is provided? As I mentioned above, trading the weekly ceramic for a biweekly finals requirement-specific CF seems like a decent deal to me. But what if that idea gets scrapped (which it still may since it’s being trialed)? I echo the sentiment that the YotO challenge was quite fun and provided a solid amount of content that kept me engaged. But if that style of challenge (based around a time-limited tag) becomes the meat and potatoes and comes around only once in a blue moon, although player income may even out, that’s still a loss of content. 

How will the removal of the weekly challenge affect player engagement? I feel like this is similar to the occasion when the daily event was removed and the entire playerbase was in an uproar. If I remember correctly, part of that uproar was because there wasn’t much to do without the daily event. 
    binner said:
    Iirc it was Robin who said that these special tag challenges are designed to make players use less used cars that are often fused or not upgraded. And going on experience this has been the case. So any extra income from these challenges is going to upgrades on these useless cars. I rarely ever upgrade cars for the regular weekly challenge. It's just free money. So we're losing that expendable income if these are gone.
    Agree with the others but want to highlight this as a big part of the problem. These big challenges like YOTO are a resource leach, not a resource provider. Sure, we are given some cash and packs, but these are not nearly enough to cover the upgrades of otherwise useless cars that we need to pass the challenge.

I had to upgrade something like 20 cars for YOTO, which was all my rewards from the challenge AND all my income from other events all taken up for a week, plus selling some cars and playing Clubs just to get cash.

Given these challenge cars are often useless after the challenge, we're probably talking about a net loss if the prizes are bad like the M3 GTR which is a bit of a dust collector, let's be honest.

The weekly challenge was not a net loss. If I recall, it was around $70k cash, a ceramic and at least five cleared prizeboards. Good extra income + something to do regularly when events are slow or boring.
  • G_anlucaG_anluca Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited April 14
    O__VER said:
    Agree with the others but want to highlight this as a big part of the problem. These big challenges like YOTO are a resource leach, not a resource provider. Sure, we are given some cash and packs, but these are not nearly enough to cover the upgrades of otherwise useless cars that we need to pass the challenge.
    Exactly. My thought is: i,ve liked very much the new challanges, but i had all the resources from farming with weekly and the boring clubs for more than a month. And I had to use them ALL and i barely managed to get the prize car with a bit of money too. I have a 3+ years garage... can't see new people how could improve theirs with this new mechanism! Especially cause you have to obtain and upgrade a lot of ex-useless cars you probably don't have in a very short period of time, with multiple challanges at the same time. And the inbetween gap, without the weekly doesn't appear enough to regain the resources, a part form beeing boring.

• HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so this new challenge series has started.  Looking at the requirements for the Coin Exchange challenges, it appears that it will run for a while.  Initial impressions are decent.  A little bit more advance notice, in conjunction with letting the player base know that the weekly challenge was going away, would have gone a long way towards customer satisfaction.  Otherwise, if we get challenges somewhat like this continuously, it seems like a good thing.
  • lemmings99olemmings99o Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least 15 events to get the tokens, on the assumption that the prizes are the same in the next events we'd get just over 1/4 mil cash including the loyalty event, 15 steel packs, 15 aluminium packs and 3 ultra rares, not bad for probably just over 2 weeks. Assuming you can finish it all.
  • ChrizzzChrizzz Posts: 22
    Yeah rewards look good. Even though i would prefer two fixed cars and a carbon fibre Pack at the end instead of three fixed cars. Not going to complain, just a thought of a small adjustment. 
  • Yama_sanYama_san Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    One question will be: can we keep the "coins" for another challenge later, or will they be lost if we don't use them for this challenge?

For example let's say I'm not interested by one of the three cars, I could save the coins for later.
    There should be a visible "bank" for these new types of coins maybe, like for reknown points.
  • D3nzelloD3nzello Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited April 16
    I enjoy the new challenge system, but at the same time its over in 10 min. and you have to wait 24h for the next one.
    Really hoped Hutch had put in something to keep us busy for 1-2-3 hours a day and isnt as boring and dull as clubs (most of us play for 1 year or longer anyway and clubs makes you wanna poke your eyes with a fork at some point).

I think what we most like about TD is the strategic aspect, take your TIME to find out what works and what not and not just spam 5 cars in clubs where you already know what works and what doesnt almost blind by now.

looking forward for a new mode that actually keeps you ingame for a longer period (aside the regular events that youre done with in 15 min as well)

• Hutch_DmitriHutch_Dmitri Posts: 322 admin
    Yama_san said:
    One question will be: can we keep the "coins" for another challenge later, or will they be lost if we don't use them for this challenge?

For example let's say I'm not interested by one of the three cars, I could save the coins for later.
    There should be a visible "bank" for these new types of coins maybe, like for reknown points.
    We did talk about this briefly in the livestream yesterday where we discussed the Red envelopes.

The answer was: 'There is no use for any extra envelopes other than the prestige of having won them, and the other rewards from those events. Future events will not use the same items (though you may see icons reused in the short term).'

I'm not so certain about the coins, but I presume they will be treated the same way as the envelopes. I don't believe that, by design, we would want you to keep the coins for other events. Any coins you earn as part of this Challenge, you should be spending in this Challenge.
    If future challenges are as easy as these are, it's not like we'll struggle to get coins. I mean these challenges mostly didn't even require thinking about where you were placing your cars, they were that easy.

Take the fuse material URs and wait for the next one IMO.
  • lemmings99olemmings99o Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O__VER said:
    If future challenges are as easy as these are, it's not like we'll struggle to get coins. I mean these challenges mostly didn't even require thinking about where you were placing your cars, they were that easy.

Take the fuse material URs and wait for the next one IMO.
    Early yet tho, I expect it to get harder past round 10