Skip to content

Are the Tri-Series' really worth it?

D3nzelloD3nzello Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
So I was wondering, from an objective point of view....lately we had a few tri-series where you had to invest in crappy cars (epics and leg. alike) in order to get tier1/2, and most likely this paradigma wont change for sure in the near future.
my question is, is it really worth spending 150 bucks for tri-packs and in addition waste all the fuse-material into vehicles that, even maxed, wont help you in other events... only for a prize car that, most likely, we only gonna use maybe once or twice a month?

I myself decided to skip those kind of series' and only invest in packs for the regular events, where I can loot _useful_ cars and fight for a top 10 spot and have more enjoyment out of it: max out the better epics, upgrade the more useful legendarys and have fun competing on a daily basis.

what do you guys think?

Comments

• willcf15willcf15 Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5
    D3nzello said:
    So I was wondering, from an objective point of view....lately we had a few tri-series where you had to invest in crappy cars (epics and leg. alike) in order to get tier1/2, and most likely this paradigma wont change for sure in the near future.
    my question is, is it really worth spending 150 bucks for tri-packs and in addition waste all the fuse-material into vehicles that, even maxed, wont help you in other events... only for a prize car that, most likely, we only gonna use maybe once or twice a month?

I myself decided to skip those kind of series' and only invest in packs for the regular events, where I can loot _useful_ cars and fight for a top 10 spot and have more enjoyment out of it: max out the better epics, upgrade the more useful legendarys and have fun competing on a daily basis.

what do you guys think?

Objectively speaking, nothing in this game is "worth it" - you invest time and/or money to get intangible bits of data that have no innate value. The only value the rewards have is the value that you assign to them, and of course their ability to get you more bits of data.

Personally, as a low spending player (<$20 USD/year), I've decided that the way I most enjoy playing this game is stockpiling resources until a tag challenge comes out, then throwing everything I have at it, because that way I don't have to compete directly against whales, there's no bracket luck, etc. I also enjoy this playstyle because I can very clearly see the value of my effort by making it further in the challenge than I would have if I hadn't saved up gold, UR's, etc. I don't feel that same sense of accomplishment when I invest in events because my investment isn't normally significant enough to change my finishing tier.

In your case, if having a strong general garage has more value that an assortment of more niche cars and some prize cars, that's a choice you can make. In that case, investing in non-tri series events or general upgrades is probably more efficient. The bottom line is that it's up to you to decide what playstyle gives you the most satisfaction for your time/money invested, unless you're one of the lucky few that has the resources to invest in everything.
  • D3nzelloD3nzello Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    willcf15 said:
    Objectively speaking, nothing in this game is "worth it" - you invest time and/or money to get intangible bits of data that have no innate value. The only value the rewards have is the value that you assign to them, and of course their ability to get you more bits of data.

Personally, as a low spending player (<$20 USD/year), I've decided that the way I most enjoy playing this game is stockpiling resources until a tag challenge comes out, then throwing everything I have at it, because that way I don't have to compete directly against whales, there's no bracket luck, etc. I also enjoy this playstyle because I can very clearly see the value of my effort by making it further in the challenge than I would have if I hadn't saved up gold, UR's, etc. I don't feel that same sense of accomplishment when I invest in events because my investment isn't normally significant enough to change my finishing tier.

In your case, if having a strong general garage has more value that an assortment of more niche cars and some prize cars, that's a choice you can make. In that case, investing in non-tri series events or general upgrades is probably more efficient. The bottom line is that it's up to you to decide what playstyle gives you the most satisfaction for your time/money invested, unless you're one of the lucky few that has the resources to invest in everything.

to your first point, thats basically true for every game really, wether its mobile/console/PC, yet we still like to spend time (and money) on them as our "hobby".

to your second point, I do have the resources to spend about 70-100$/month and have a different kind of ego-trippin approach, if that makes sense...but I see what you mean and its totally fine.
    let me ask you, what if you had maxed out all your fav cars and wouldnt be able to use them on tri-series' EVER (because of silly car requirements) and end up somewhere ranked 100 to 170, where is the fun in that? wheres the enjoyment value in that? idk...

and to your last point, dont get me wrong, I do have a strong general garage, but im also not a fool, theres no point maxing out cars that you will never use again or lose against vs cars with same RQ.
    my complaint is just that Hutch will continue this "policy", where tri-series will require maxed out fuse material in order to grab the prize car. clearly that will not be my playstyle in the future like you pointed out correctly, Ill rather focus on the more fun part of the game as of now....where a maxed out caterham superlight gives you more satisfacton and rewards than a prize car on a daily/weekly basis. (due to restrictions and RQ limits)
  • bluedogsnoopbluedogsnoop Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These days when possible I only target the cars that are absolutely worth it based on the competitiveness against the main legendaries., the last being the XJR-9. I save gold until those events and will never chase cars by buying packs as I have in the past (2 years + ago). I also prefer the challenges more than the events, at least when they are thought out and not easy, and require trying different combinations etc.

In the Tri-Series, we are now playing against a lot more whales than before as well as cartels all over the place, so it is not just about the cars you have, but the bracket you land in. Factors you cannot control. A T1/T2 hand in one bracket could be T3 or T4 in another.

The emerging pattern of average prize cars or re-runs requiring a generic garage, and the must have cars (Jesko) requiring a ridiculous niche few cars, is also apparent and it will drain the fun out of the game for many, as they simply will not be competitive. Or they will stop caring. I am close to the latter.
    well said snoop! and i think those reqs wont change any time soon, sadly.

• nathanwindnathanwind Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    Unless you're a whale you can't win them all. I have a couple of criteria I apply before I have a real go at a final: is the prize car good and Do I have the basis of a good hand. I.e. 3 epics or above. If the answer to these is yes I will upgrade epics with saved fuse material. Otherwise I'll let it ride. This coming weekend. Is the prize car good. Yes. Do I have a basis of a good hand. 1 epic and the rest URs. No. Leave this one be. I've won a handful of cars this way and I quite enjoy building up resources to have a good go at a prize so this works for me. Horses for courses as they say.
  • TD42792TD42792 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you're a whale you can't win them all. I have a couple of criteria I apply before I have a real go at a final: is the prize car good and Do I have the basis of a good hand. I.e. 3 epics or above. If the answer to these is yes I will upgrade epics with saved fuse material. Otherwise I'll let it ride. This coming weekend. Is the prize car good. Yes. Do I have a basis of a good hand. 1 epic and the rest URs. No. Leave this one be. I've won a handful of cars this way and I quite enjoy building up resources to have a good go at a prize so this works for me. Horses for courses as they say.
    Very much this. Stockpile URs and epics... wait for a good prize car where I think I stand a chance with the cars I already have, then upgrade epics / legends as required. I dont chase cars with tri series packs any more. Only brought disappointment. All my gold goes into car slots and new PL packs.

I actually dont care if I upgrade ‘bad’ cars. Most of the fuses I have put in legendaries are actually in low rq, and it's not so bad. They actually still are very useful because of the weird requirements / tags these days.

The way I view it this is about collecting cards. So I like to collect as many of the pack available cars, and as for prize cars, I am very selective given the absurd amounts many players spend. It is impossible to be competitive in even 3/4 of tri series finals as f2p or mild p2w. And I guess that’s ok. Challenges and special series (like yoto) give more chances to get legendaries so that also helps.
    TD42792 said:

The way I view it this is about collecting cards. So I like to collect as many of the pack available cars, and as for prize cars, I am very selective given the absurd amounts many players spend. It is impossible to be competitive in even 3/4 of tri series finals as f2p or mild p2w. And I guess that’s ok. Challenges and special series (like yoto) give more chances to get legendaries so that also helps.
    yeah true, guess Its my extreme competive nature that I have to tune down.
    and to make it even worse, the prelims CF gave me the porsche 959 as reward lol

D3nzello said:
    TD42792 said:

yeah true, guess Its my extreme competive nature that I have to tune down.
    and to make it even worse, the prelims CF gave me the porsche 959 as reward lol

Was reading your original post again and was trying to think what is a ‘useful’ car?

One extreme example is the superlight. Everyone maxes on day 1 of getting it. I still dont have one and yet I cannot remember an event in a very long time where I wish I had it. Same with the Furai, mine is still sitting at 639 and I have not had any reason to max it since I got it a long time ago. Sure they are must haves for the dailies but who cares.

On the other hand, my maxed rq67 golf r and rq68 corvette z06 have proven key cars in a few recent events.

The other important factor I have noticed is that all events are quite heavily rq restricted now (except for tri series finals). This means that in a lot of instances there are ways around not having the one OP car maxed. With a good variety of other cars there are ways around missing that one car.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that with the current way the game is being run, it is hard to predict which car is useful or not on a general basis. I never understood why people ask “is this car any good, should I keep it?”. Now more than before, I just dont see how this is a pertinent question.
    TD42792 said:

One extreme example is the superlight. Everyone maxes on day 1 of getting it. I still dont have one and yet I cannot remember an event in a very long time where I wish I had it. Same with the Furai, mine is still sitting at 639 and I have not had any reason to max it since I got it a long time ago. Sure they are must haves for the dailies but who cares.

I suppose you mean tri-series events?
    because theres certain key cars in addition to those you mentioned (banana, I-pace, abarth spider, evo x, ktm xbow, etc) that I see being used basically alot in regular events that give you ceramic rewards.
    not to mention the off-roader epics....so yeah Im sitting on a lot of those that need to be upgraded in order to compete and have fun _as much as possible_ and not only 2 twice a month where theres a tri-series finals (just talking about myself, ofc ppl play because of different reasons too). hence why I think the tri-finals are a waste of ressources really for what you get in return, both entertainemnt-wise and rewards.

Ive seen people who wanted to compete for a ceramic reward so hard that they even upgraded legendaries, and thats what I mean, I want to have that "feeling" and level of pvp everyday when playing.

for future tri-series finals I will approach them like you said, just see what I have and roll with it, w.o upgrading or buying packs, just not worth it.
    D3nzello said:
    TD42792 said:

because theres certain key cars in addition to those you mentioned (banana, I-pace, abarth spider, evo x, ktm xbow, etc) that I see being used basically alot in regular events that give you ceramic rewards.
    not to mention the off-roader epics....so yeah Im sitting on a lot of those that need to be upgraded in order to compete and have fun _as much as possible_ and not only 2 twice a month where theres a tri-series finals (just talking about myself, ofc ppl play because of different reasons too). hence why I think the tri-finals are a waste of ressources really for what you get in return, both entertainemnt-wise and rewards.

Ive seen people who wanted to compete for a ceramic reward so hard that they even upgraded legendaries, and thats what I mean, I want to have that "feeling" and level of pvp everyday when playing.

for future tri-series finals I will approach them like you said, just see what I have and roll with it, w.o upgrading or buying packs, just not worth it.
    No I actually meant all events, including ceramics. For instance the UK convertible right now. I dont have a superlight but manage to build my hand around it because of the rq limit. I use other cars I have, some legends, some other upgraded epics etc and I will most likely end up T2, perhaps even T1 if others dont fight that much.

But yeah try a different style of game play and see how it goes. The thing is, even if you put in real money to get the 15cf packs, there is a very good chance you end up with a bunch of useless URs (useless for the final), and perhaps one or 2 epic and once in while a legend. That is not even enough in many instances to win the final. I have found that in most finals, whether I bought packs or not I pretty much played the cars I already had in my garage. That means the packs bought did not improve my chances. This really convinced me that chasing cars by buying a few tri series packs each time is a wasteful strategy. Better off spending the gold to buy slots and new PL packs, and slowly but surely expand the garage from countless ceramics (events and IGC), challenge CFs and once in a blue moon buying some specific CF packs.
    TD42792 said:
    D3nzello said:
    TD42792 said:

No I actually meant all events, including ceramics. For instance the UK convertible right now. I dont have a superlight but manage to build my hand around it because of the rq limit. I use other cars I have, some legends, some other upgraded epics etc and I will most likely end up T2, perhaps even T1 if others dont fight that much.

But yeah try a different style of game play and see how it goes. The thing is, even if you put in real money to get the 15cf packs, there is a very good chance you end up with a bunch of useless URs (useless for the final), and perhaps one or 2 epic and once in while a legend. That is not even enough in many instances to win the final. I have found that in most finals, whether I bought packs or not I pretty much played the cars I already had in my garage. That means the packs bought did not improve my chances. This really convinced me that chasing cars by buying a few tri series packs each time is a wasteful strategy. Better off spending the gold to buy slots and new PL packs, and slowly but surely expand the garage from countless ceramics (events and IGC), challenge CFs and once in a blue moon buying some specific CF packs.
    As ever I agree here. The superlight example is a good one. Don't have one and to be honest nowadays don't really miss it. It feels like it's had its day in the sun outside of the dailies. Cars I've found very useful recently. The epic ipace. Comes up again and again. Audi RS6. Very good. I'd think about maxing a hellcat and BMW M3 CS too outside a final as they come up often. That said by the time I get them they too will probably have run their course. Many of my epics are final specific and used for the final and then put in garage together dust. As you say: horses for courses. 
  • O__VERO__VER Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having only recently acquired a Superlight, let me tell you it is SO damn useful. Use it all the time and it saves me often.

The RS6 I've had for three years and it hardly sees the light of day. Feels like one event per year.

The BMW M3 CS is very useful but the Hellcats... only really the Charger is useful these days. The Challengers are a bit obsolete compared to when they were new.
  • TopDrives34865TopDrives34865 Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    O__VER said:
    Having only recently acquired a Superlight, let me tell you it is SO damn useful. Use it all the time and it saves me often.

The RS6 I've had for three years and it hardly sees the light of day. Feels like one event per year.

The BMW M3 CS is very useful but the Hellcats... only really the Charger is useful these days. The Challengers are a bit obsolete compared to when they were new.
    The M3 CS was my first epic from a pack, when I finished campaign, first maxxed, and it currently sits at ore than 3500 races and an astonishing 92% win rate. Really useful
    O__VER said:

The M3 CS was my first epic from a pack, when I finished campaign, first maxxed, and it currently sits at ore than 3500 races and an astonishing 92% win rate. Really useful
    As long as hutch loves saloons it's a great car. RS6 has been useful on 5 seater events.
    TD42792 said:

This really convinced me that chasing cars by buying a few tri series packs each time is a wasteful strategy. Better off spending the gold to buy slots and new PL packs, and slowly but surely expand the garage from countless ceramics (events and IGC), challenge CFs and once in a blue moon buying some specific CF packs.

this! if those dull requirements continue in the future I will skip the finals and focus on packs that give actual useful cars. Im really sick and tired these last weeks/months how Hutch lures you into wasting epics/URs for useless cars....I mean cmon, you guys love cars and love the game, why go that route and make tri-series' unenjoyable....I dont get it.
    Sure, you get a nice reward, but youre left with a bitter-sweet feeling and some sort of pyrrhic victory after the event. :(