Skip to content

Diamond Club Challenge

willcf15willcf15 Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 12 in General Discussion
Looking at the requirements to this challenge, the minimum required would be 5 each of common, uncommon, and rare maxed Renaults. I only have couple of these, so I went back to my cost of upgrading post (https://forums.hutch.io/discussion/comment/20431) to figure out how much needs to be invested.

The cost of maxing cars specifically for this challenge is $346,375, assuming (1) you don't need any different cars for stages on the same rarity and (2) you already have the cars you would need to do the fuses. If you don't have the cars laying around and have to buy packs for them, that goes up to $566,750.

The total rewards for the challenge are $58,500, and I'd go ahead and say that most of these cars will not be very useful to have upgraded going forward.

So Hutch, I've gotta ask - did anyone do this math? If so, what was the logic? If you have to max even just one of each class to complete the challenge, it no longer pays for itself. I sure hope that nobody did the math, because otherwise it looks like you're intentionally conning less analytic players out of their resources...

Edited for a better title and clarity

Comments

• HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insert standard reply of "not all challenges are intended to be completed by all players".  

Possibly consider this a counter to the last few weeks challenges, which have been laughably easy?
  • JayJay Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I can't be bothered doing this challenge. I tend to complete nearly all the challenges. But I could buy a few ceramics for the same amount as completing this challenge just to get 1 ceramic.
  • SquadalaxdSquadalaxd Posts: 7
    Jumping trough hoops for dogship ceramic. You can keep it.
  • O__VERO__VER Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay said:
    Yeah I can't be bothered doing this challenge. I tend to complete nearly all the challenges. But I could buy a few ceramics for the same amount as completing this challenge just to get 1 ceramic.
    Yeah it doesn't make sense unless you have the cars ready to go. Personally I don't – I only have four Uncommons and three Commons. I have all the Rares but only three maxed. By the time I have five of each and all maxed, I've probably easily spent the maximum $27,500 + $32,500 for a ceramic that this challenge offers.

I know not every challenge is going to work out for me, and my low-end garage isn't amazing, but I'd question how many people would actually profit off this one. I don't think anyone is that keen to make a net loss out of a challenge in a game that's based around constantly advancing and saving money.
  • MoogMoog Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭
    O__VER said:
    Yeah it doesn't ...
    Blatantly trying to get around the swear filter "Yeah it doesn't" -> "Yeahitdoesnt", 1 letter away from a naughty word. I hope you get banned for this!

• D3nzelloD3nzello Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    well I dont think they made the other stages so that you actually HAVE to fully upgrade in order to advance, most likely it will be very easy at least until the very final stages.
    also by playing a few hours of clubs it should make you enough to get those fuels going....and besides, me personally I dont mind it.
    only thing thats not so good is the shortness, play 4 rounds and wait 24h...thats kinda meh
  • O__VERO__VER Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D3nzello said:
    well I dont think they made the other stages so that you actually HAVE to fully upgrade in order to advance, most likely it will be very easy at least until the very final stages.
    also by playing a few hours of clubs it should make you enough to get those fuels going....and besides, me personally I dont mind it.
    only thing thats not so good is the shortness, play 4 rounds and wait 24h...thats kinda meh
    Why not pay 100 gold for four more? 🤔
  • BinocularBinocular Posts: 6
    If you don't complete it they'll just have you again with the same cars in the future when it actually matters, dismissing this challenge 'because its just for a ceramic and will cost me x' is very short signed in my eyes - these sorts of challenges help get your low-end cars in order and then when it really does matter on round 19 in a monthly arc with 7 hours to go and no manufacturer-specific packs and they pop up randomly again you won't be moaning about it - a challenge isn't a challenge unless its challenging. You wouldn't moan if you had all the required cars maxed and to say they won't be needed again when maxed is just a silly statement, they will be needed over and over again if everyone continues to leave them stock / fuse them and not collect them.
  • willcf15willcf15 Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13
    Binocular said:
    If you don't complete it they'll just have you again with the same cars in the future when it actually matters, dismissing this challenge 'because its just for a ceramic and will cost me x' is very short signed in my eyes

I typically think that way as well - to me this game has been about increasing the value of your garage, since that provides value over time. So even if upgrading cars doesn't immediately pay off, it'll pay off when you have those cars available in the future. However, this challenge really would cost me something like $350k-$400k to complete. It's just too much for me to be dropping right now.

There's another consideration here - let's say that over the next 6 months, we need every single one of these upgraded cars. Even in that case, there's value in me spending that money on ceramics now to give myself a chance at getting other relevant cars and having them when I need them over the course of that window, and waiting to upgrade the other cars as needed. Often 1 good pull makes something like a temporary tag challenge possible. $400,000 spent on ceramics gives you an 8.8% chance of a legendary and a 34.7% chance of an Epic. Getting one of these 6 months earlier could make all the difference.

As for the possibility of Hutch beating these requirements to death since people didn't do the challenge - I have considered this. However, the shred of faith I have left in them is really hoping that they don't.

Edit - fixed probabilities, grabbed from the wrong table. my b
  • BoxtaSBoxtaS Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next prize car requirement: 5x common petrol powered Renault! You heard it here first 👍
    BoxtaS said:
    Next prize car requirement: 5x common petrol powered Renault! You heard it here first 👍

with our favourite prize car as reward:

So it you don't have 5 cars with 2+ fuses you can't even see the track to see what you need to fuse in the first place, so you waste cash cars and time, just to enter and then see that you probably fused the wrong cars and have to do it again. Wow.
  • Yama_sanYama_san Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    I feel the requirement "5x uncommon Renault fuel powered" is quite insane - not even talking about that they need to be maxed lol.
    I have a quite decent garage regarding low-tier cars, and I have only 1 of these! (5 uncommon Renault including 3 Twizy lol). There are not that many cars fitting the requirement actually.

For sure some low-tiers can always be useful in the future, but most of the low-tier Renault are quite poor, so no way I want to go further with that challenge just for a poor ceramic (and seems the case for a lot (majority?) of players).  For a CF I might have understood, but here it clearly doesn't worth the effort.
    But then it's good sometimes to save some time from too much playing! :p
  • bertmcfishbertmcfish Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    The requirements are frankly ridiculous for this - harder than prize car challenges! I’d say I have a strong garage further down the rq scale, but I only have 4 uncommon petrol Renaults, 2 of which are upgraded. Do you really expect me to spend a load of cash or gold to chase another, which may not even be good enough? To win a ceramic? Seriously?!
  • BoxtaSBoxtaS Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn’t make financial sense to try to complete it, but the satisfaction of beating Robin’s fiendish... challenge... could be worth more than in game cash to some players 
    edited May 14
    FYI, you don't actually have to upgrade the cars, to meet the fuse criteria requirement.  You can put fuses into them, say from 1.3 > 2.0, then leave it at 2.0 and it qualifies. 
    edited May 14
    Don't do the ever again. It's garbage and greedy. Stop.
    O__VER said:
    Why not pay 100 gold for four more? 🤔

for a CF pack as reward I most likely would lol, but not for a ceramic.
    Finished and I only had to upgrade one Uncommon, which was done mostly with the free ads. 🙂
  • TopDrives40778TopDrives40778 Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • willcf15willcf15 Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭

As somebody that owns all the commons and is close to completing the rares and uncommons, I enjoy challenges like this. I would say that the game has never really placed a ton of value on the collection aspect of the game. It's always sort of been focused on keeping the best cars so you can do as well as possible in events while spending the minimum amount of gold on slots. On the one hand, I enjoy challenges like this with very granular requirements because they're challenging. They're not a walk in the park like the ones that came immediately after the challenge update and they actually provide a feeling of gratification for completing it. That, and because they give me the opportunity to utilize the lower end garage I've spent so much time building.

But I completely understand the frustration here too. Players that haven't spent a good chunk of money and purchased a lot of slots likely can't afford to hold onto the "meh" cars that would normally gather dust, so they struggle in challenges like this where the requirements are very specific. I completely get it. I think another big problem with it is that for a time, this was the only challenge going on. I'm glad we've gotten the In the Clutch challenge with a lot more forgiving requirements. But if the case was that this was the only challenge going on and a majority of people couldn't complete it due to the specificity of the requirements, that's a problem. I believe I've seen Robin mention (or at least express interest in, if it wasn't something he personally mentioned) wanting to have a multitude of challenges running simultaneously that have a wide variety of requirements. Then you could just pick the ones that suit your garage and go after them. 

Maybe a way to encourage acceptance of these granular challenges would be to give out more slots as prizes in the challenges. I think as the game continues to adopt flexible criteria (in both events and challenges - looking at you 2007 petrol and diesel finals reqs), and emphasis is put more and more on having that car that would normally be fused, being a little more generous with slots as prizes could be a good way to help ease people into that transition, the alternative being what it is sort of becoming now: "Buy slots with gold to keep everything or miss out"
    I also own the majority of D/E/F cars I would need to complete the challenge, I just realized that it would actually hurt my standing in the game to do so. I guess my main frustration is that I would be really excited to do an event like this, but I couldn't justify participating because the rewards were too weak relative to the investment in cars that don't look like they'll be worthwhile to have upgraded in the short-medium term.