Skip to content

Challenge Format Thoughts?

bluedogsnoopbluedogsnoop Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 7 in General Discussion
Initially I was sceptical about the change in format (not sure if it will be the norm or ever used again) as it appeared at first glance to remove all the key requirements of actually needing to be competitive against other players. (Is that not sort of the main reason for the game?) Top 200 for each key is reachable for most RQ500 accounts under normal circumstances. (my second account got two of them with ease) and is not that much of a challenge in its own right.

I liked the challenges, but perhaps I would say that, as I had the cars for it. I appreciate that setting a progressively harder structure is difficult but would say that I think Robin did a good job with that, despite what people think about Round 22. Those complaining about specific cars being needed seem to forget that to be Top 10 in a tri-series final, you pretty much need specific cars, or a lot of help from some good friends.

Removing the collusion element was a benefit of this format. Those with the garages that deserved the cars should in theory get them without having to worry about the lottery of the bracket you land in.

Would I like to see this continue? Yes but in moderation. I would still prefer it not to be the norm. 

Pros
Prize car is awarded on merit and not by nefarious means.
The variety of cars and packs offered was quite generous.

Cons
Racing element was heavily reduced.
Late entries could get into top 200 with a 1-0 record quite easily (my second account did).

Interested in the thoughts of others on this.....

Comments

• D3nzelloD3nzello Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited June 7
    well, I actually do Like the new format of getting the prize car, it removes the teamwork, it removes the neccessarity (at least as of now) to upgrade crappy legendaries du to the top 10 player competetion who can go crazy sometimes and it removes the need to buy extra tickets...so yeah it is a good change imo.

on the other hand due to RQ limitation you are kinda forced to jiggle with certain cars and cant put in your 3 highest/best and 2 lower useless cars that usually lose by 50-60 in a normal pvp format.
    the whales will get the car regardless tho, the baby-whales will have a tougher time but still challanging in a fun way....overall Hutch should keep on going with this new format. I dig it.
  • EndlessWavesEndlessWaves Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess it depends on whether we compare it to the tri-series finals or the temporary tag challenges. 

It did feel like a disjointed and watered down version of the temporary tag challenge.

The three qualifier events didn't really seem to add much. The CFs were out of reach even for my 70k trophy garage that had several options to upgrade to get through the challenge. The first event with different requirements may be worth keeping, but the third one especially just felt like yet more use of those german 2010-2014 cars for just a couple of premiums. 

Is it worth having things the other way around? Have the difficult challenge rounds first so you know which cars you need to upgrade, then have the event with the same requirements for the token to get past the final round?

p.s. The new challenge interface hasn't really grown on me either. Is it worth restoring the overview screen from before to the left of round 1, so it comes up when you first open the challenge? 

• SimplesHoTSimplesHoT Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I dont like it, you can have a bonkers hand but are not able to use it cause of the RQ or still can't proceed cause you only have 10 of 12 epics and those two missing are mandatory.. so thats pretty fried up. if they find a way to change that im up for it...
  • HeissRodHeissRod Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An RQ cap is not a new thing in challenges
    Or finals come to that, although it's usually high enough to not affect the lower end of the top 10. 
  • SimplesHoTSimplesHoT Posts: 47 ✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    that is true but as its a replacement for the tri-series finals (as I understood it), these very rarely have any hard RQ cap
  • BlackXWulfBlackXWulf Posts: 45
    Yeah After round 2, everything got easier up until round 21,but I think I got that cover now. So I like this format so I can't blame the team work system and have an actual strategy and if I don't have the cars to win then it's not meant to be. I rather have that for a format then all the other variables and timing, I can do it at my own pace. 
    HeissRod said:
    that is true but as its a replacement for the tri-series finals (as I understood it), these very rarely have any hard RQ cap
    True, but they have had RQ caps and this is the first time we have had a tri-series include a challenge, so there isn't a precedent.
  • Snaetch89Snaetch89 Posts: 101 ✭✭
    HeissRod said:
    HeissRod said:
    True, but they have had RQ caps and this is the first time we have had a tri-series include a challenge, so there isn't a precedent.
    Fair enough, still gotta agree that r22 was too specific.. hard doesn’t have to be necessarily putting it down to a couple of cars
    Snaetch89 said:
    HeissRod said:
    HeissRod said:
    Fair enough, still gotta agree that r22 was too specific.. hard doesn’t have to be necessarily putting it down to a couple of cars
    It didn't come down to a specific couple of cars. Check the IGF thread, there are a lot of combinations posted.

The slalom was probably the most difficult track and there were eight or nine cars that could win it. It was having enough qualifying mid-RQ epics out of the 19ish available (did the X3 35d win anything?)
    O__VER said:
    The tickets for me are awarded late at night – about 10pm and it results in about half an hour's excitement before I have to wait 24 hours or buy more tickets. I hate this part of the new challenge structure. The old ticket-every-three-hours thing at least meant you could tune into the challenge a few times per day.
    Agreed
  • Yama_sanYama_san Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Overall that challenge was interesting.
    Just maybe level of difficulty between the 3 finals was not very well balanced. But was probably on purpose.

I found the first one easy, second one difficult - I was blocked still a bit far from the Leg (still managed to get the CF so that's ok), and third one was surprisingly easy.

Now I'm a bit disappointed about the prize cars for Finals 1 & 3 (not prize cars actually): one loosy Rare (why not an UR btw?), and one not so-great Epic. I would have preferred the difficulty to have been raised a bit bit get more interesting cars.
    Especially since I didn't get lucky at all with all the CFs from the current challenges. :(
    Now maybe that's cool for younger players, but still could have offered more sexy cars for 1 and 3.

Now having put the GT Finals as second event was a good idea to not prevent players who would have missed the third token, to be able to try their luck for the most interesting prize.
  • GymopenGymopen Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Found this way less stressful then Tri-series. Also a lot more friendlier ending times for folks who have been waking up right before 4am just to clutch in a chance at winning a prize car everytime. We could all go at our own pace.
    Snaetch89 said:
    HeissRod said:
    HeissRod said:
    It didn't come down to a specific couple of cars. Check the IGF thread, there are a lot of combinations posted.

The slalom was probably the most difficult track and there were eight or nine cars that could win it. It was having enough qualifying mid-RQ epics out of the 19ish available (did the X3 35d win anything?)
    Well, when I have three leggys, six epics (one dupe) and twelve ultras I don’t feel like I’m in a bad spot.. when even after opening five CF and three specific ceramics (where I pulled a dupe epic) I still don’t stand a chance it’s somewhat but not how it should be.. but that’s nothing new in this game I guess just had expectations 
    To be fair, your 5 unique epics were only 25% of the possible pool of epics.  What did you have?
    HeissRod said:
    To be fair, your 5 unique epics were only 25% of the possible pool of epics.  What did you have?
    M Coupé, G63, Golf R x2, i8 and RS5.. overall I’m able to beat the round just can’t fit the rq, cause I have to use leggys for the drags
    Golf R won't win fast circuit, then use RS6 for drag?